Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gennykins

meliflua and obovata

gennykins
13 years ago

They are growing very well but they get what looks like fine hairs or filaments on the new growth. I worry that they might be the start of mealies so I've been wiping it. This has led to some of meliflua's new growth being misshapen. Does this happen to anyone else's hoyas?

Lisa

Comments (10)

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Hi Lisa,

Pls. don't rub at this; it's not mealies nor abnormal.

I don't know what it's called, but I remember well discussing exactly this, here at Hoya Forum w/ Denise from Omaha. I believe she'd noticed it as well & she & I were comparing notes about it. Not all Hoyas do it, if I recall correctly, I've seen it happen on H Australis & I think also the Pubicalyx types.

I've been w/out H Obovata for about 3 yrs. now, but seem to recall that one may have done it also.

It's at the very tippy tip of the new growth right? Tiny fiber like hairs, yes, I do remember them. Watch it but don't do anything to it & you'll see the filaments will disappear in a couple of days as the new growth gets going.

It was never a precursor to bugs, I can understand why you may have thought that, I initially wondered about it myself, but I assure you, it's not bugs.

• dalette
    13 years ago

Yes I have several that are like this and it is not a bug seems to be the growth pattern...

• gennykins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you!!! I shall let them grow in peace.

Lisa

• lightning96
    13 years ago

I've noticed the same thing on my obovata plants and I wondered what it was. So glad to hear it's not bugs!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I have several Hoyas that do this with meliflua being the most obvious. I find that this hair or crystal like substance(wax?)develops most where the leaf petiole connects to the leaf blade. I wonder if this substance has ever been analyzed to see what it is and what it's purpose might be.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

lol Whenever I see that stuff it gives me heart palpitations, too. Can you tell we all have mild cases of mealy-onset PTSD?

I assume it is some kind of fetal leaf protective coating, like a cuticle. I was curious about researching it, as well, but wasn't able to find anything.

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Here's a picture of one of mine having the white stuff on new growth you're describing. This scared me the first time I saw it!

Thank goodness it's normal!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

More buds Kelly!! What are you feeding those Hoyas of yours? LOL

Mike

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

That's the second set of buds on wallichii-or-whatever-it's-name-may be!

You know, I did switch fertilizers a couple of months ago. Went to Maxi Growth. Think it's by General Hydroponics. Did so after Nancy, I believe, mentioned using Dyna Grow for Foliage instead of Blooms. Hmmmm...wonder if this could be making a difference even though I'm using it sparingly this time of year...

Kelly

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Hi Kelly, don't underestimate the power of fertilizers at the right amount...like anything else too much of a good thing isn't always better,lol...I'm betting the combination of your extra light and your new fertilizer attributed to you better success this year...Congrats! Great job!