Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first non-carnosa bloom!!!

Posted by gennykins MN (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 19, 11 at 20:22

And it is Ruby Sue!!! I love the scent - reminds me of lilacs - and even better, there are three more peducles. Plain lacunosa is next to it and it has about a dozen. Talk about anticipation!

Also, a second fabulous find...

There is a phenomenal orchid green house about two miles from my home and I occasionally wander in for the color and fragrance. I was there today and he had a variegated kerri! It was huge and he sold me a 6 node cutting (with leaves!) for $10.00! Although it is not on my wish list, I had to buy it. I've cut it into three sections and its in a baggie. I'm a bit apprehensive - my house is still cool at night - but I am hoping for the best.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first non-carnosa bloom!!!

Awsome, Genny! Lacunosa is such a good one to have blooming - such a sweet smell.

Is the kerrii the regular variegate (cream on the outside)? I like that one best. My reverse variegate loses all it's variegation in winter.

Denise in Omaha

o

Denise,

It is the regular variegated. I received a reverse cutting in a trade last summer and it came with one leaf. It grew a new leaf within the last month - again, sooooo exciting -and the new leaf has more pronounced variegation than the leaf it came with. Perhaps the variegation on the new leaf will come to resemble the variegation on the old but for now, very cool.

Lisa

o

Congrats Genny!! I have 'Royal Flush' that blooms pink instead of white since it gets a lot of sun. My mixed pot of lacunosa reg. and sno caps blooms white I'm guessing since its in a shaded location (under Oak trees). Great deal on your Kerrii variegated...good luck rooting them.

o

Congratulations on the lacanosa blooms!
I got a basket of Ruby Sue last year and I hope that I can find a Royal Flush as well because it's speckled leaves are just gorgeous.

Mike

o

Congrats, Genny! Lacunosa is such a reliable plant!

o

Congratulations! That's just too exciting. I love the way lacunosa flowers look like something Snugglepot & Cuddlepie would wear.

Even though I think most cultivar names are pretty cheesy, I have to agree that Royal Flush is aptly named. All these lacunosa cultivars have foliage that makes you think: I wouldn't change a thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here