Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Joni's Opened Up Shop!

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

Joni is officially open for business! I'm looking at the plants she has available (she's sending me two for my birthday: Black Dragon and another I have to choose. I'll get to that in a moment).

Amongst the plethora of plants, ones that tempt me are her lacunosa varieties. I would like to have another lacunosa but I'm hesitant since after losing C.C. to the fiendish mealies. Royal Flush is the one I'm thinking of getting if I do get a lacunosa (definitely have to go get some BATS at Lowe's at the end of the month when I go up to where Lowe's is at for my birthday). I do miss that fragrance!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (15)

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Correction: Joni's only gifting me the Black Dragon. Way to go, me. Sorry, Joni! I'm all caught up in the excitement! So, who's already placing an order?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Brad,

I placed one order some days ago and now I'm wating them to arrive healthy and safely, if Brazilian post office cooperates!!!!

I have some lacunosas that I bought from Joni and all are ok, except one that did not make the long trip. But I keep trying always!

• peanut01
    13 years ago

Thanks for enabling me Brad.

During a moment of weakness I ordered.
    rigida IML 1424
    pachyclada IML 0521(per Mike D's suggestion)
    obscura IML 1003(not sure if this is the exact obscura that I'm looking for but is a start)
    purpureo-fusca IML 0728

I picture myself picking up Hoya heuschkeliana soon for it's buttery popcorn scent.

Also Joni lists one plant as Very Fragrant... Hoya sp. aff. pubifera. Does anyone on here have this Hoya, or have an opinion regarding it's fragrance?

-David

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

David,

Why for a moment of weakness?????

I think I have those moments very often!

• peanut01
    13 years ago

2nd correction of this thread.
    No purpureo-fusco IML 0728 it is n/a

But I did add Merrilli :-)

I am pretty frugal usually. I put most extra money towards retirement, I reuse and repurpose constantly, and try to trade for most my plants.

LOL mitzi - With your climate and your hoya addiction, you will be growing enough Hoyas to supply all of Brazil in a couple years. No more worrying about Customs ;)

-David

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

David I have two different species listed as Hoya sp aff pubifera but one I got from the Liddles so it will be the same plant offered by Joni.

In this photo aff pubifera is on the far left, the one with the larger leaves and the light veining. The blooms will be larger versions of Hoya DS-70 in appearance although they are a deep purple colour. My plant has not flowered yet but the scent should be a sweet candy like scent like the rest of the Acanthostemma section Hoyas.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya sp aff pubifera flowers

• golden_ca_2000
    13 years ago

Sorry but I dont know who Joni is... Does she have a website I could possibly visit?

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Hi Golden :)

Check out SRQ Hoyas

Mike

• golden_ca_2000
    13 years ago

Thank you Mike :0)

• peanut01
    13 years ago

Maybe my next purchase I will get aff pubifera. Nice leaves and fragrant blooms as well.

I received my order in the mail yesterday. All 4 looked great with no leaves lost in transit. The Obscura had a few very limp pliable leaves, but that may just be the new growth. I hope this one will color up in the sun this summer. I repotted 1 so far... The Pachyclada which was too heavy to stand up in the plastic pot. It has about 12 leaves that are all super succulent. The new growth on this plant is amazing... The stem is very thick. I would love to see this one grown in habitat to see the growth patterns when undisturbed. The rigida looks like a cross between a hoya and an orchid. The leaves are amazing and much bigger than I expected. Also I noticed that one of the leaves that has a scar on it shows red all around the scarred area. I am afraid to see how big this Hoya can get. The Merrilli did not have the great color and veins that I saw in one that I received in a trade in the past. Maybe it has to do with environmental factors. Only time will tell there.

-David

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I have Joni's merrillii and it arrived and stayed deeply reddened until winter light, so I am sure yours will blush up soon.

Which rigida did you order? Congratulations on your new acquisitions!

• peanut01
    13 years ago

GG

rigida IML 1424

I added another rigida to my wish list. I love the flowers and the leaves on this one. What sun exposure do you give your Merrilli? I will probably move this one outside in late spring.

-David

• gennykins
    13 years ago

David,

I traded you the merrilli last summer and I have a 6-8 inch stem I'll be cutting soon. It has a few smaller leaves. If you'd like it, you can have it for postage. Let me know.

Lisa

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I love rigida 1424! I feel like I could stab someone to death with those leaves. Which, granted, isn't a quality I usually look for in a plant, but now that I have it, I'm quite pleased!

I was lucky to acquire a rigida 1669 last fall and it's a real beauty! I would highly recommend it.

I keep merrilli in an east facing window with unfiltered light. I'm sure yours will love being outside.

• peanut01
    13 years ago

Lisa:
    Sorry I missed the offer. Thank you so much. The cutting I received from you immediately rooted and formed a new leave then started losing leaves 1 by 1 until all I had was a rooted shriveled vine. I loved it though and as you read above I had to get another one. I have so much more luck rooting cuttings in the warmth of the summer.

GG:
    I included rigida 1669 in my Liddle order. Thansk for the recommendation.

-David

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets