Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Does anyone know what is causing this or is this normal? Pics

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

First off, I just want to say to everyone.

I bought this plant last year at HD and it was just green and white. Well now it's new leaves are just flowing with colors and I had no idea it would do this.

Is this the nature of this Hoya? It also had no tag for ID on it.

I keep it in one of my bathrooms and never feed it. It is in the gritty mix and at this point, with all the flowers coming out on it, I could care less if it ever flowers.

Some leaves are yellow, red-orange, white and half green and other colors.

Thanks everyone.

{{gwi:15248}}

{{gwi:15247}}

{{gwi:15246}}

Comments (5)

• paul_
    13 years ago

Looks like KQ. Mine does get some reddish color occasionally on its newer leaves, especially in high light.

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Hi Mike...how are you? Paul is right. That's Carnosa 'Krimson Queen'. The leaves are normal for that hoya...one of my favorites. I love the pink, white and two tone leaves that it gets, so many different colors...like you said the leaves alone make it worth growing. Of course you will LOVE the blooms just as much. You're taking care of it very well! The plant looks very happy. Enjoy :o)

• patrick51
    13 years ago

Hi Mike...looks like you're doing an excellent job with this KQ....one of my most favorite hoyas. I love that the new leaves start out pink or vivid red, turn to cream and then become variegated....so many gorgeous colours. The plant only looks better and better as it ages. Mine is around 5 feet long and I keep it placed where I can see it constantly. Best wishes and enjoy...and I hope you get as addicted as the rest of us!! LOL Fondly, Patrick

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Patrick: Yes. I keep it in a bathroom so that when I towel dry off, I am staring at that plant all whole time. It seems to love the very humid bathroom conditions.

Thanks for all the kind comments and help. I just love this one. When I first bought it, it did not have colors like this at all. So it is all taking me by suprise. Boy can Hoya become addicting based on just leaf shape and colors alone!

I hope it flowers too. I think it might, if I keep it in that spot. I was debating if I should summer it outside then bring it in in the fall. But it will get full east sun from now till fall in that window.

Hi my dear friend Pug!! Thanks. I can't wait to get more..Hint, hint..;-)

Paul: Thnaks again.

Mike

• Denise
    13 years ago

Hi Mike,

There are a couple different clones of 'KQ'. I have one that's touted to be a "superior clone" that is really colorful. My main one, though, is my favorite. The leaves start out with a touch of pink in the cream part of the leaves, then fades to just short of white. Here's a cluster of white leaves...

If a plant gets too many pure white leaves, it'll slow the growth of the plant. I'll cut them off if/when that happens. Right now, this one grows at a decent pace (not fast, but steady) and I think it puts on enough green growth that it balances the all white leaves.

Denise in Omaha

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH