Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wrynsmom

Got a new pla-a-a-ant. :)

wrynsmom
14 years ago

Okay, went to the local nursery, today . . . and look what I found!!!

Dischidia vidalii?

Carolyn

Comments (23)

• Denise
    14 years ago

Ooo la la, Carolyn! A kind soul on this forum got one for me from CBFM and I managed to kill it. Then I got a start from the local university GH and managed to kill it. This is one I want to be able to grow, but it escapes me for some reason. I don't plan to give up! It's so cute and unusual... If you have success, you MUST share your secret with me!!

Denise in Omaha

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, Denise . . . I'm going to try my absolute best of keep it alive, and if I do . . . I will gladly share cuttings and my secret with you. :) I plan on cutting a small piece off, tomorrow . . . as a backup. ;) I have a bit of moss lying around . . . will try it in that, too. If that works, I'll send you a bit mounted on the moss, if you'd like. :)

Take care,

Carolyn

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

Caroline,
    Looks like you have a very nice Dischidia vidalii mounted in the Apple snail shell there. I hope to get another one myelf in a upcoming spring sale(killed the first one too).
    You may also wish to make sure there is a small drainage hole in the shell. Dischidias hate to have their roots in water and will quickly rot in soils that are not open and free draining. I did'nt know that with the first one.

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Never fear! This one has three small holes in the bottom. I figured the best way to water it, would be to fill a small dish and soak the shell for about 15 minutes or so, then remove it to drain. Should I do this daily? or every other day? I plan on misting daily, anyway. :)

Thanks,

Carolyn

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm such an idiot!!! There was one there with seed pods and I didn't recognize it! In fact, I thought there were seeds from another plant all over it!!!! AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH! Maybe it will be there, tomorrow!

Carolyn

• kellyknits
    14 years ago

Carolyn,
    I, too, have one in a Apple Snail shell as well as one in hanging pot! I LOVE this dischidia! Let me know if you're successfully able to root the cutting you took from it. I've tried to root the variegated vidalii with no success.
    As well, I had a seed pod on mine. I was able to get the little bitty seeds to sprout, but lost them soon after. Think I had them too wet...
    Congrats!
    Kelly

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Gorgeous plant, I too end up killing my variegated cutting. : (

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Nice one Carolyn, I especially like the snail shell it's in, is it a real one?

Denise, I remember when you got yours from the member here. Sorry you lost it. I guess that's one I'll never try to grow, if you can't grow it.

Maid~

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, it's a real shell, packed with coco fiber. Not sure if I've got much hope . . . but I'm SURE gonna try! ;)

Carolyn

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

I think watering it once a week would be enough unless the potting medium is drying out completely before,you want it just a bit damp,but not dry. Overwatering it will rot the plant and kill it quickly. Misting between watering every day or two would be good, but don't over do it. Soaking mine is what killed it.Let the water run thru it like you do your Hoya's.

Here's a link about the care of Dischidia's. You might have to copy and paste to your browser to view.... http://www.cloudjungle.com/Epiphytes.org%5Carticles%5Cdischidia%20care.htm.

I have taken cuttings from several of my other Dischidia's and rooted them using spagnum moss. I soak it in rain water with a drop or two of SuperThrive added. I keep the moss a bit damp and they root pretty easily for me.

I'm thinking the trick to starting the seeds and keeping the seedings alive would be simuliar as Hoya's. Keep the soil and seedlings from drying out.

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Cool plant, one I wish I would be able to find locally. I think you just convinced me to go to the local greenhouses this weekend to see just what is available.

Mike

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank, ladygreensleeves. I read that sheet, last night. :) And just before I read your post, I took a cutting and stuck it in sphagnum moss. hahaha Great minds think alike!

Mike, I'm sorry to tempt you this way. hahaha Does this make me the latest enabler? ;)

Take care, all!

Carolyn

PS I'm heading back to the nursery, today, to see if any of the pods happened to pop. The people are pretty nice there, and will give me all the seeds I want, if they are there. :)

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

I hope you find and are able to get some of the seed pods. I get so much enjoyment from watching plants grow from seeds. A very kind enabler sent me seeds from some of her Hoya's last year and I have so enjoyed watching them grow.

I pick up the empty apple snail shells along the canals in the spring here. I think it's the Kite Hawk(some kind of Hawk does) that eats them, as well as after they lay their eggs on the reeds they die. I use them myself to make plant hangers and other crafts. If anyone would like a few let me know and we will work something out.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Congrats Carolyn! I'm not a Dischidia fan myself(mostly because of space issues). I only have one(watermelon leaves)...but yours is very cool. I love the cute little snail pot, best of luck!

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I totally lucked out . . . on had just busted. I grabbed all the seeds I could. There's not quite 20, I guess . . .but it's enough to try!!! :) Wish me luck!

Carolyn

• geosdee
    14 years ago

Denise,

i am going in a couple of weeks to CBFM. If he has more I will get you another. I am sorry you lost it.

Dee

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, guys. The cutting I took YESTERDAY has roots TODAY. We'll see how long it lasts!

Carolyn

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

WHOO-HOO....can't go wrong rooting in spagnum moss IMHO.

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's absolutely amazing! Really, I can't believe it started rooting so quickly!

Carolyn

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Wow Carolyn, one day? That is amazing! Why can't hoya cuttings root that fast,lol...Good luck!

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

Don't be surprised if your seeds sprout within 24-48 hrs. All the Hoya seeds I started were sprouting within that time frame........

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, LGS! I'll keep an eye out for those little sprouts! I stuck them in the moss, yesterday, and nothing, yet. But I have hope!!!

Carolyn

• Denise
    14 years ago

I don't know, Dee...I'm a little leary to try it again. It's such a beauty that I really DO want to grow it, but it puts me in a funk to keep failing... Are you growing it? Of course, you Floridians have an advantage with the perfectly humidified conditions (great for plants, awful for me!) I guess I'll give it some thought... When I got the first one, I left it in CBFM's mix, but then it started to decline so I put it in my mix. Didn't help... Oh, how I hated to see those cute balloon leaves dehydrate!! **sigh** If someone from my northern climate can give me some real advice on this Dischidia, I'll sure take Dee up on her offer!!!

Denise in Omaha

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler