tigerdawn_gw

Grandma's carnosa is blooming!

tigerdawn
14 years ago

My first blooms of the season!

Comments (15)

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Tiger...those are very pretty! The flower is white right? Its sometimes hard to tell from pictures...I have a Moteskei but it hasn't bloomed yet, I'm still waiting for a white bloom(except lacunosa). Congrats! Do you detect any fragrance?

• tigerdawn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's one of the things I love most about this hoya- the fragrance takes me back to Reene's plant room when I was a kid! These flowers are basically white but can have a pinkish or grayish cast to them in some lights.

Here's the whole plant. I forgot to put it in before.

• wrynsmom
    14 years ago

That is beautiful! Is this the plant I have a cutting from? I can't remember! Lovely. :)

Carolyn

• moonwolf_gw
    14 years ago

TigerDawn,

Lucky you! It looks like in the second picture you have more blooms on the way!

Pug, I have motoskei (a big plant!) and it has peduncles on it. I know the flowers are similar to carnosa but it's a nice plant!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Very Nice, Tiger. Love the close up of the flower.

I have a carnosa that's quite large, it's a 2 year old cutting. But no signs of flowers. If and when it does flower it will be a joyfull day for me, it was one of the first cuttings I grew into a full plant. I could be waiting awhile tho, from what I hear and read, it can take up to 7 years for this one to bloom.

Yours is so pretty tho, thanks for sharing,

Maid~

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

What a pretty flower! And a perfect sized plant too.... Somewhere I missed the part about the flowers being white and taking up to 7 years to bloom...I'll be old and gray by then!!!

• shanna5
    14 years ago

LGS,
    Not all of them take 7 years, just depends on a bunch of factors, since you live in FL it will not take nearly as long for you to bloom the same hoya that I try to bloom living in Missouri.

shanna

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Shanna! Welcome back...we've missed you around here! Glad to see you!

• tigerdawn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Carolyn, I gave you a cutting from a plant I got from one of my professors in college. I'm pretty sure it's the same variety but it doesn't seem to produce flowers as freely and as fragrant as Reenie's does. I just got this plant last summer from my mom because her office mates complained of the mess and smell. Whatever! Now I have it! I have noticed the fragrance is strongest in the mornings when I wake up.

• hort_lvr_4life
    14 years ago

Oh, how beautiful! I can't wait until mine blooms! I got my carnosa (my very first Hoya) from my late uncles wife. It's very sentimental to me. Has several new growths forming right now.

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Beautiful blooms!

What is it with people not liking the scent of Hoya blooms? Are we plant people just more appreciative of these things? I have a few friends who always ask "what's that smell" when my more fragrant Hoyas bloom and they don't seem very impressed with the scent.

Mike

• tigerdawn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maybe some people just like strong floral scents more than others. Lots of people don't like marigolds because they "stink" but I love the smell.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

I can relate to that...my Lacunosa is blooming and at night or early morning the scent is so strong...I start getting a headache, I finally had to take it outside. I'm not that crazy with the scent, more so when several are blooming at one time. I guess we all have our own hoyas scents "preferences". For me this one is over powering.

• kellyknits
    14 years ago

Congrats, Tigerdawn!

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

There are definitely some plant scents out there that I just can't handle. Hoya lacanosa is a strong scent and it gives me a headache if I am too close to the plant while it is in bloom as well. To me Hoya carnosa is not that strong unless there are several peduncles worth of flowers open and even then I really like the scent.

Mike

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert
More Discussions