Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
langlin2000

Free Hoya

langlin2000
10 years ago

Anyone in San Antonio have room for about 14 hoya plants, all from David Little in Australia? I need to find a new home for them.

Leon

Comments (26)

• goddess9
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm not anywhere near San Antonio, but I can pay you to ship them to me. :P

• Denise
    10 years ago

Hi Leon,

If you don't have any takers, perhaps you might consider selling some cuttings? If so, please do get in contact with me with a list of what you have.

Denise in Omaha

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Hi, I'm in San Antonio. I would be more than overjoyed to get some new Hoyas. But, of course, I'd be happy to share the lot, too. Will you be going to the San Antonio Plant Swap on April 5th? It will be at Rogiers Park (sp?) in Balcones Heights, on April 5th. That's also in San Antonio, just off Hillcrest.

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

Aw! It all worked out so nicely. That made my day.

• teisa
    10 years ago

I thought of Sunny last night when I saw this post! She's just starting her collection!!!

• langlin2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all and thanks for the response.

Denise as you know I have been growing Hoyas for over twenty years but our last move to San Antonio left me without a real good growing place. I don't think I'll want to put in another greenhouse here and our new place is just not Hoya friendly so I want to find a home for them all in the pot if possible. I have already given about twenty of the smaller ones and here's the list of what's left:
    hoya litoralis
    hoya imperialis
    hoya obovata
    hoya kerrii
    hoya lobbii
    hoya davidcummingii
    hoya longifolia
    hoya javanica
    hoya wayetii kentiana
    hoya lacunosa
    hoya vitellinoides
    hoya obscura
    hoya incrassate

Sunny, some of these are quite large, can you place them?

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Hi Leon, Oh my goodness, YES! I'm just so thrilled beyond words..., I'm speechless. What beautiful, perfectly gorgeous Hoyas you have. Please know how very grateful we would be. We could definitely 'place' them. We have three large windows where they could live, as well as a small deck and a small greenhouse with a sunroof and a heater for the Winter. Please email me.

Thank you so, so much!
    Irene

This post was edited by sunnysa on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 17:38

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

Leon, too bad you don't have the space anymore. Beautiful plants! Irene, you're so lucky to be getting them!

Once you do get them, do you mind sharing or trading some cuttings? I have Hoya brevialata, wayetii, DS-70 and Dischidia ruscifolia (a Hoya relative). Email me if interested.

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Hi Greentoe, Yes, it's all so unbelievable. I would be happy to share some cuttings.

Leon, please know that we would take very good care of your Hoyas. We love tropical plants! I'm new to Hoyas but we grew one for years and didn't know what it was. Here is a pic of our plumerias. Again, thank you.

This post was edited by sunnysa on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 17:40

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

Irene, that is a beautiful space! My conviction that NYC is the best place in the world to be is seriously getting challenged right now! :-)

• teisa
    10 years ago

Irene,

Those windows are great! You could hang them or make a shelf! Your home would be perfect for the Hoyas! I thought of you first when I read his message! They are definately Gorgeous plants! I LOVE the H. Imperalis!
    I am drooling over it right now! Wow! I am very happy for you!

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Thanks Teisa, I've been busy moving furniture around to clear a space in front of the windows. Hubby will come home and say, "What did you do now?" Ha!

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Just wanted to post a big Thank You to Langlin for the all the beautiful Hoyas. I can see that I have a lot to learn about each and every variety.

A big Thank You, too, to Pirate Girl, Karen. Without her help, I would have never found this forum or ever known about Hoyas. Ever since then, they have been so addictive!

It may take some time before I learn about the care they require and how to ship cuttings. Thanks to everyone for all the information provided. I plan to learn as much as I can as quickly as I can.

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

Irene, you proud momma, post some pictures of your new plants once you settle them in their new environment!

When I get new hoyas, I have a list of things to check out that I go down for every species. It seems very structured and uptight, but it's really more about fun learning the new ones and how they look and what they like and their history and whatnot. I make very brief notes in my file as I go down the list. The list goes sort of like this:

1. Google the name for images of leaves, flowers, growing habit etc. Other than the pleasure of just looking at nice pictures, this serves to confirm ID and to help me decide what kind of support to prepare, or maybe to hang the pot if that's what the plant likes, and gets me thinking about where to put it or whatever.

2. Then I open all of the following sites and search for the plant in each of them:

http://srqhoyas.com (use the search box to find the species, then check also "Additional Images" tab underneath).

http://www.linh.se/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/EmailOverseasCat2013.pdf - Liddle catalog

http://www.hoyor.net/en/search.php

http://daves garden.com/ (copy and paste into your browser, remove the space in the middle and press enter, 'cause GardenWeb is not letting me insert this link) - use the search box there. Here I often note pronunciation of Latin names if not obvious, among other useful things.

http://vermonthoyascom.fatcow.com/ search and go through the results. Doug's site is great. I once binge-read / binge-watched the videos almost completely basically over the weekend. Very helpful and educational.

http://cubits.org/Hoya/articles/view/179/ - gives you an idea of how a particular hoya was found growing in the wild. This leads straight to trying to replicate those conditions when we can.

http://srqhoyas.com/GUIDELINES Joni probably intended this as help in narrowing down the list when you are shopping, but it's also good for checking the names you already have against the list to sort of see what to expect.

http://rare-hoyas.com/Catalog.htm - intended as a price list and again an aid in choosing, but is also good for species descriptions and can be useful for even after you get a hoya (or fourteen! haha)

http://cubits.org/Hoya/articles/view/1092/ - temperature tolerances. Helps you place each of your plants a little better than just randomly or by how it looks.

http://srqhoyas.com/TEMPERATURETOLERANCES - essentially the same list, except there are some differences. I just check both to be sure.

3. Make sure there is a label on the plant somewhere with the FULL name including catalog numbers if you know them (or if Leon can provide). One of several reasons for this is that it really helps when trading later - an incomplete ID plant may not be as wanted as when it's totally clear to the other person what they are getting.

If Leon has any notes, I'd take a copy of those as well if I were you, or at least ask him for his advice growing all these plants. This is probably even better than googling things because what the plants look like is a direct result of how he cared for them. Info like when Leon repotted last is also very useful. As a rough guideline, Hoyas need repotting every 2-3 years. Many people repot much less often, and the plants are often fine. But knowing that date can provide a clue if the plant ever experiences problems.

I'm growing absolute majority of my hoyas from cuttings, and for them or for young plants it's really important to react to visual cues right away. But for adult plants it is also important, especially those you are not familiar with as they adjust to the new environment. This forum has been very helpful. Post pictures and descriptions of problems if they ever come up. People here speak Plantese really well and will be glad to help. I take notes and often pictures of problems, what I did and what helped - that can help later or with other plants.

But most importantly (last step but not the least) - have fun growing them!

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

> It may take some time before I learn about [...] how to ship cuttings.

Ugh, forgot to mention: I did my first cutting exchange just recently and wanted to make sure my cuttings are in the best shape as they can be when they arrive. So I posted this: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hoya/msg0317430627329.html. It turned out to be much less complicated than I'd imagined. Hoyas are really tough cookies and take shipping anywhere within the US very well even by non-express sorts of methods.

Spring is probably the best time to take cuttings though, as that encourages further growth and that "full look" in the mother plant and is also the easiest time for cuttings to root and grow on the receiving side.

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Greentoe, Thanks for all the links and advice. I need all the care tips I can get. I was reading up on pest and problems and one tip was: Do not touch or move the Hoya plant during its blooming period. The Imperialis has those bud spurs. Will the move keep them from blooming? I'm dying to see a bloom.... with my own eyes, lol.

I've got sooo much to do. I need to get them out of the boxes, find spots for each, put at least one large hook in front of the windows for the Imperialis. I need to find some name tags. I need to set up an Excel file to track each Hoya and the inventories, and I need to read up on just about everything. Wow... I'm loving it! LOL Proud Momma??? Surely, you jest! :-)

Thanks, Eugene. I'll take some pics real soon. I'm still waiting to exhale.

• langlin2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sunny, the Imperialis has already bloomed this year and the remaining buds will blast. I found that this hoya needs the peduncle to be several years old before they will hold buds, remember most hoya bloom year after year on the same peduncle. Look closely at the davidcummingii, it is in full bloom with many open now (they are small). Also the lacunosa has a bloom about to open.

Leon

• langlin2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also as to Greentoes suggestion on labeling which is a great post, each hoya I gave you has a label with it and the list I gave you will give you David Little's collection IML number to go with the name on the label.

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Thanks, Leon. I saw the David C blooms this morning. I was so happy to see all the blooms. I looked closely at the Lacunosa, but I'm not seeing a bloom yet. There is one label that I can't read the name on it. I'll take a picture of it in the morning and maybe you can ID it for me.

Greentoes' links have been very helpful. I'm still trying to work my way through them. Thanks, Greentoes.

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

> I was reading up on pest and problems and one tip was: Do not touch or move the Hoya plant during its blooming period.

I've read this as well. I think some hoyas are notoriously more sensitive to this than most others. Plants may be sensitive to the small amounts of oil we have on our fingers. If the plant thinks the bud/flower is not viable, it blasts it in order not to waste energy on it. If you move the plant, the buds/flowers/peduncles will twist to find a new optimal position in relation to the light source. Some hoya kinds may literally twist its neck doing that and drop the buds. From what I see, it doesn't happen very often, but I would not risk it if I do not have to, especially for first bloomers or excited hoya newbies. :-)

> The Imperialis has those bud spurs. Will the move keep them from blooming?

Here, it may react not just to touching and a different direction of the light, but to ALL the environmental factors that are now different.

> I need to find some name tags.

I am looking as well: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hoya/msg0301350317735.html.

> There is one label that I can't read the name on it. I'll take a picture of it in the morning and maybe you can ID it for me.

Check Leon's typed list of plants above - you should be able to match it.

> Greentoes' links have been very helpful.

Glad to help an overjoyed proud momma. :-)

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

Congratulations, sunny! I'm so excited for you. :) :) :)

I hope there is no terrible reason you had to give up your plants, Leon. I'm glad you were able to find homes for them. You've demonstrated a lot of love for them and the Hoya community.

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

I'm relieved to hear it! I have to admit I was worried there would be a dark cloud. Your plants are so beautiful!!! I hope you and the carnosas really enjoy your new house!

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

Beautiful plants indeed, Leon!

• indoorgardenlover
    10 years ago

WOW! congratulations Sunny and glad to hear you are not ill Leon. Hi all i am new here and new to the world of Hoya. is anyone interested in sending cuttings for postage? (When you have researched it Sunny) i can see me being very addicted and living up here in no man's land the only place i have to shop for plants is walmart and food stores so you can see my dilema. anyway, if anyone is interested please let me know. thank you. good luck with your new family Sunny!

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Thanks, greedyghost and indoorgarden lover. We are enjoying our new plants. I have about fourteen total right now. I shared some with family members. Unfortunately, I'm not up to trading just yet. I'll be growing my collection and I'll be posting some pics soon.

Sponsored
More Discussions