Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wrynsmom

Dead Hoyas . . .

wrynsmom
13 years ago

Hello all! Anyone miss me? hehehe

Well, it was a tough winter. Even though my plants are ALL in the house, I lost quite a few. Stupid Utah weather kept getting warm and bright, then cold and grey. The Hoyas were SOOOOOOOOOOOO confused, and it took it's toll. :(

How did everyone else fare this winter?

Carolyn

Comments (9)

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

I have been wondering where lots of missing people are - you, Jan, Nancy, Dee, Regina etc!

Sorry to hear your hoyas had a rough go of it this winter.

Kelly

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Carolyn we did miss you!

I lost my Hoya magnifica cutting but that was it. I potted this one up because it was always drying out and then it bit the dust.

Mike

• patrick51
    13 years ago

Welcome back, Carolyn....I know that we all missed you...please don't do that to us again. I'm sorry that your hoyas had a rough winter...and I'm wondering if winter will ever end!?! Fondly, Patrick

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

At least I'm not alone loosing hoyas! It seems to be part of the show. Luck me I don't have the winter problem, but I have the long term delivery time, which does not allow me to order beautiful species that I'd love to have like lasiantha, campanulata, magnifica, and many more!
    Luck you guys that can order and receive the hoyas faster, with no risk of confiscation, therefore you all can replace the cuts and plants easily.

Mitzi

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Welcome back, Carolyn! We missed you!

I lost some hoyas myself (some to mealies, some from the "confusion" you described), but I still have a large part of my collection. Some of them are "waking up". I'm sorry you lost some of your babies. It's very beautiful here today in Central PA.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

Welcome back Carolyn!!!

Like yourself I also lost a few hoyas due to some really FREAKED out weather!!! Some i'l replace and others I have no intention on getting new ones of as I had already made plans to down size just a WEE bit this season anyway.

David

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Welcome back Wryn, no hadn't seen you in a while.

Yes, I lost a few Hoyas too, but also have had a couple of small bits of Hoyas that I didn't expect to survive, come through like litle troopers.

I believe I've finally figured out how to grow H. Bella, at least here in my conditions. I knew there are at least a few of us who've killed Bella repeatedly. Well, I have it in a tiny pot on a wick, but the wick is to ensure complete drainage & let it dry out completely for a bit, the wick drains into small pebbles. I have a little sprig of it which is doing really well like this.

Saw my first Crocuses yesterday, can it really be almost Spring? Some purple & others lavender striped ones, so pretty & alive looking. Been a tough winter here in NYC ... come on Spring!

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Hi Carolyn, I was wondering where you disappeared to. I disappeared for a little bit, but then again, a lot of people disappeared around the same time. I saw Regina here for a second, but not since then.

I didn't lose any though I thought I would. But I'm not out of danger yet. I haven't been keeping on top of things like I should. And this upcoming trip to Austin is sucking up a fair amount of time in planning. Mainly though, obsessive knitting is taking over my life. I am determined to finish this one sweater, at least. I keep starting new projects.

Sorry to hear about your hoyas. Spring is coming, though! I have a snowdrop and a bunch of little pansies blooming away. I hope the tiny pink crocuses come back this year. As well as all the other little bulbs I planted. We'll see, it's always hit or miss when container gardening.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Yes! Missed you. I lost what feels like "a bunch" of plants this winter, too. But when I try to remember who, I struggle naming more than a few, so maybe the psychological tear of struggling with a few all winter is just enlarging it to an imagined holocaust.

I definitely know I lost:
    (1) erythrostemma 'Cotton Candy'
    (2) mindorensis yellow form
    (3) sp. Philippines 'Golden Flame'

Possibly taking their final swan dive right now are:
    (1) patella
    (2) meliflua ssp. fraterna

Note: Isn't it horrid that I "can't remember" who I lost? I think I just start blocking it out because it bums me out so much.

Sponsored