Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hoya availability in Jerusalem

Posted by greentoe357 7b NYC under lights (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 21:20

What's hoya availability like in Jerusalem - anybody knows? My relatives who live on the Israeli side of it are coming to visit in May, and they asked me what to bring, and naturally this is where my thoughts went right away. It would be interesting if they could bring a cutting or six that are not easily available here in New York or in the US in general.

This post was edited by greentoe357 on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 21:35

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hoya availability in Jerusalem

Aren't there restrictions on importing plant materials?

o

Yes, there probably are. I posted about this (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hoya/msg0320152625760.html), but there's little info.

o

quoting Ted Green "The USDA is now insisting that all plants and plant materials entering the U.S. must be accompanied by a Phytosanitary Certificate from the exporting country. "
I had to get one for plant from Australia so I think it is required for all imported plants.

Leon

o

I'm a bit confused as to why you think there is little information on importing plants. A simple google search on import plants to US will bring up the website that gives all the info needed, as well as links to the proper forms if you want to do it.

Renee

o

Well, I did feel a little confused when I started bc the governmental sites all sounded so scary and yet ordinary people seemed to be importing plants right and left. Then when I understood that vendors usually do all the paperwork for you (if you are ordering under 13), it made more sense.

Policies are always changing so if you go by old threads you will be soon out of date. Best thing, as Renee says, is to face the hard-to-navigate government sites and take it from the horse's mouth.

It's going to be a hassle the first time to figure it out without a vendor's help, but it can be done.

o

I too have had this question! My husband is traveling to Vietnam this summer. I've looked and had a hard time understand all the information.
There was a person who traveled just to get Hoyas. She started a thread and posted how she was able to do that. I wish I could find it again! For now, I keep reading!

o

Ugh. Sounds like the kind of trouble not worth it to me at this time. Maybe later, when I am ready for that dream order from Thailand for a couple dozen cuttings.

o

I agree it's not worth the trouble, in most cases. :(

Chances are, you would get much more interesting specimens ordering from Jack, than sending a Hoya rookie into a Vietnamese or Thai marketplace, too. ;)

Now, I definitely think it would be worth the bother to go somewhere where you could see them growing wild with your own eyes. *_*

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here