Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hoya kerrii purchased w/THREE peduncles!

Posted by hort_lvr_4life (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 28, 10 at 21:49

Hi all!

I love Hoyas and have only recently began seriously acquiring them. No, I don't have many. Just three so far. I have H. carnosa, H. carnosa varigata and H. kerrii.

I got kerrii on Friday. She has three peduncles! I have kerrii in a southwestern facing window which has a 24" overhang from the soffits. Is this good? I've read kerrii is a slow growing Hoya so am I going to have to wait a considerable amount of time for blooms? H. kerrii came from the propogator/grower directly. I washed her leaves off b/c she had residue from being watered in the greenhouse. She's in a 6" hanging pot and there's a lot of plant so hopefully she's slightly rootbound, but if these are cuttings from last summer maybe not.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoya kerrii purchased w/THREE peduncles!

If you have peduncles, you'll probably get blooms this spring. The position you've chosen is ok if it's not going to get any direct sun. SW is about as intense as you can get, so I would personally move it to an eastern location, where it could get a bit of early morning sun. If it gets any direct sun in a SW location, it will probably burn...

Once established, kerrii can be a fast grower. It doesn't grow fast year round, but in spring and summer, mine gets wild. The stiff stems are hard to train, so you end up with a plant that takes up a LOT of space. Mine occupies the whole top shelp of a 5' x 18" shelf in my GH and still manages to wander hither and dither.

Good luck with your new kerrii!

Denise in Omaha

o
RE: Hoya kerrii purchased w/THREE peduncles!

I got a Hoya kerrii this winter and have been growing it in an unshaded Southern window. This Hoya can take very bright light but like Denise mentioned the heat and light in a West facing window can be a problem. Because the window you are using has an overhang it should be just fine but keep an eye on the plant to be sure it does not begin to look stressed.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here