Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Somewhat OT: stephanotis!

quinnfyre
13 years ago

I may have mentioned I bought a budding stephanotis at the Philly Flower Show. It's a nice sized one, trained on a hoop. Well, it is blooming! And it smells heavenly. It's like the best of both worlds: hoya-like leaves, and similar shaped but larger starry jasmine sambac-like flowers that smell jasmine-y and hyacinth-y at the same time.

I will post pics when I get a moment, perhaps more of the buds will have opened too.

Stephanotis is related to hoyas, right? And get similar care? I want to try and get this one to thrive. It's sitting on my desk under a light, at the moment; I had no other place to isolate it.

Comments (8)

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, a few pics. Completely unedited (in case anyone wanted to know). I didn't feel like risking the wrath of my computer by running Photoshop, the fan kicks into overly loud overdrive when I do, needs repair :(

It is perfuming my whole room, and is particularly nice when the fans for my plant shelf and orchids kick in.

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Quinnfyre,I bet your room smells nice.I was given a stephanotis about 2 years ago and it hasn't really grown much but I just found what looks like a peduncle so may be I will get to see flowers this year.
    I love your photos by the way.

Cindy

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

That is just lovely. I had been trying to ignore your last post about the stephanotis, in an attempt to avoid temptation, but I suppose it's too late for that now. You're right, it does seem like the best of both worlds. It looks almost like an australis at a glance, which I think has such classic elegance. Like it belongs at a wedding.

Sorry about your ongoing computer woes. At least it doesn't roar at you all the time.

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I vote you get one. It is totally worth it. The flowers are still going strong, and it alternates between smelling somewhat hyacinth-like to smelling a lot like this tuberose lotion I got from Bath and Body Works. I think lacunosa is adding its fragrance to the mix now and again, as well. I don't think they're close to blooming at all, but calycina and australis ssp. tenuipes also live in my room. If they all bloomed at once... well, that could get interesting ;)

My computer is a cranky one, indeed. I'm hoping a fan replacement does the trick. I'm just afraid to take it in though; it involves carting around with me on two buses and probably leaving it with them for a little while, during which I am completely computerless. Also, I'm afraid (for no particular reason) that it will not end up being as simple as a fan replacement. Ah well. I need to figure it out sooner rather than later.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

It's going on my list! I feel like such an idiot saying it reminds me of something that belongs at a wedding. And then I look it up and find that its common name is 'bridal bouquet.' >_>;

Your fan replacement diagnosis is extremely likely. I don't know how many times I've been down that road. It's always the fans. That said, I'm the. same. way. about avoiding bringing my computer in. :3 Also, about getting my teeth checked.

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

LOL, I, too, had been avoiding this as I don't need to add to my list of wants... It really is beautiful!

Good luck with the computer....ugh....

Kelly

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Hey a computer fan is the least expensive part to have to fix, well laptops are a pain but desk tops are no problem.

I had a cutting of this plant but I sold it. There was a clothing store here that had a huge plant growing along their front window all twined around some iron work and it looked beautiful and bloomed often.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

That's an inspiring image, Mike. Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions