Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlt37869

Water rooting my dried out KP cutting

jlt37869
14 years ago

A couple of years ago I bought a beautiful EA KP ,,, but after awhile it started to go south. What seemed to be happening was that the variegated (white) cuttings were not getting enough moisture (and were drying up). When I increased watering, then the green cuttings were apparently too wet and began to "mush", drop leaves, and die. I then decided to re-pot the entire plant in my normal hoya mix. Well, that was a disaster!! I could not get the EA "soil" off the roots (it was like one big chunk of styrofoam), so I continued to have the same moisture issues with the plant (too much for the green sections of the plant and not enough for the white sections). I did root a back up plant a long time ago and it's doing really well.

This past fall two more "white" stems on the parent dried up. So I took them, stripped them of their crunchy leaves and put them in a vase of plain water and just left them in the window. Well, they not only plumped up, sprouted water roots, and began growing, but check out the budding vine and leaves growing under water on one of them. How adorable is that? I wonder if he knows he was two steps away from the trash bin. Anyway, I potted him up this week, but he was in that vase of water since last fall!

I know I'm not the only one to struggle with the EA soil (I've read all the posts on that topic). I vowed I would never buy another EA. Yeah, well, I've broken that vow a few times already.

As far as the parent, I'm planning to cut him up this spring, throw away the root "mass", and start anew. I'm convinced the problem is with that soil. Really wish I had done that last spring.

Comments (2)