Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyknits

Fun Hoya Website

kellyknits
13 years ago

Just came across this hoya website and recognize the owner Doug from another forum.

This is a nicely organized website and I highly recommend the Hoya Movies! How fun!

Just wish he had a contact listing so I could tell him how much I enjoyed it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermont Hoyas

Comments (10)

• patrick51
    13 years ago

Thanks for the link, Kelly....that Doug sure has a tremendous amount of success blooming hoyas up here in the north...I asked him what his secret is...but, he sort of does things the way all the rest of us do. I STILL think he has a "secret"!! LOL He does add lime and charcoal to his potting mix. Fondly, Patrick

• peanut01
    13 years ago

Thanks for the site. I have never seen this one before. I was up with insomnia last night at 3am looking at the site. I used Doug's mix today repotting 4 Lacunosa and my largest DS-70. All the Lacunosa went through a serious drought and were completely rootbound. They were still blooming so I guess they are almost tough as nails. For anyone out there that do not know Lacunosa... Underwatering is much better than overwatering. Last year I almost lost an old Lacunosa to overwatering. The leaves turned yellow and dropped. When I underwatered them they just shriveled up a little and the mix became hydrophobic and required the change. As soon as I watered them they plumped back up within an hour. And DS-70 is even easier than Lacunosa since I have grown this one with Northern exposure all winter and it still thrives. I was not able to overwater DS-70 and when underwatered it took longer than Lacunosa to shrivel and it plumped faster.

Just my observations. Also I did not realize how big macgillivrayi really was. It is on my list now.

Thanks again for sharing and if DOug is out there... Way to go.

-David

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

This is a new site for me as well, thanks for the link.
    Seeing those time lapse photo sequences makes me wish I had gotten a different model of video camera, would probably use it more often.

Mike

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Check out this site! I love the greenhouse she built!

Here is a link that might be useful: Carina Svensson's Hoyas

• mel_10
    13 years ago

That greenhouse is super cute. What a great idea! Such a simple way to reuse an old shed. I might have to see if the hubby would let me do something similar :)

Mel

• patrick51
    13 years ago

Kelly, thanks for the link...that's amazing how that ugly shed was transformed into such a gorgeous greenhouse. At first I didn't scroll down and thought the shed was the finished project!! She did an amazing job...just beautiful.

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Hi Kelly...Wow, that greenhouse is SO cool! Never in a million years would I have been able to build something that nice! Like Patrick said...what a great way to recycle that ugly shed! Great transformation!

Thanks for posting!

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I just love the greenhouse, too. We redid the basement of one of our family houses and got rid of a bunch of old windows and now I'm kicking myself for it. (I knew I would and had saved a couple for art projects but sure enough finally comes the idea for what to do with a mass of them.)

Europeans are so good at scavengy transformations.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

What a transformation indeed, makes me wish I had an old shed of my own. LOL

You know the white paint and the little table really finish the look and for what must be only a fraction of the cost of a conventional greenhouse. I think I would be tempted to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in that little garden room.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Too true about the cute table setup. It's amazing what a lick of white paint can do. And I love the built in shelving along the side. I just wonder how long it will be until the wall shelving is expanded lol!

This all reminds me of my new hearthrob, Benita of Chez Larsson. It is just mind boggling what that woman can do with a gallon of white and some particle board. Too bad she's a black thumb or she'd probably have all of my plant arranging problems solved already.