Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Interesting indoor planter

mdahms1979
12 years ago

I was looking at the gardening section of Pinterest and found this indoor planter for climbing plants. I bet this could be made easily from hypertufa and then either tree branches, metal rods, or bamboo could be used as the climbing structure.

{{gwi:940710}}

Source: houseplantsguru.com via Jasmine on Pinterest

Mike

Comments (8)

• PerrenialGirl
    12 years ago

Interesting! I think the container would have to be a bit deeper.

• klyde
    12 years ago

Cool.

So nice to see something different than the bog standard stuff.

Very sculptural. In the right room, would look fantastic methinks.

Wonder if they oome with fibre optics? White would be nice.

Kelly in Victoria

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think a standard six inch pot would be the best size to us in a design like this. If I get around to making something similar I will post it. I am always helping family members add to their gardens and this is a great project that we could add to a few other hypertufa creations we are planning. I bet this would be a great way to display a smaller flowering vine in the garden.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Too funny. I came across this image a year ago when we were discussing alternate planting setups but didn't bring it up because I thought it would be considered too outlandish.

It really does have some nice design elements that could be modified for a nice sturdy Hoya spin-off. I am imagining creating a modernist suggestion of an arch near a set of tall windows or doors.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I remember that conversation and I have to admit that I never followed through on a few ideas I had then. I had wanted to use very heavy rope anchored from pot to ceiling to grow my Hoya polystachya on. I think I would need more space to accomplish something like this because it would look best in an uncrowded room. I did build a smaller version of a planter with a tree branch attached through a large flat rock. I lent the branch planter to the orchid society for a display last year some time and have never seen it since.

I can't help but think that two large diameter pieces of bamboo set across from each other and then connected with rungs like a ladder would be attractive as well. You could use other bamboo neatly set into the larger pieces, rope, or stainless steel rods or stained wooden dowels.

I think that figuring out ways to use neglected space are great for people who grow plants. I would love to expand the green wall I have so that it is about 50 Hoya sp vs the 10 that are currently up there. I am sure we could come up with some fun ways to use the vertical space in front of windows or patio doors where you get good light all the way to the floor.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

"I think I would need more space to accomplish something like this because it would look best in an uncrowded room."

When I am looking at hip plant displays this is the irony that I am always struck by. Here we are with the very resources, skills, and ability to go one step beyond their boring 'easy houseplant' displays, and we can't pull it off because...

...we have no open spaces to work with because we have filled them all up with shelving units of plants.

Not that my space was ever huge to begin with.

I'd love to see that MIA branch planter, if you have an archived photo of it. No big surprise someone didn't want to return it asap LOL. It sounds cool - I want to make one now!

Your polystachya idea is totally doable. I really like it. It would be fun to do something like that with a airy fast-growing plant like paziae/Iris Marie, too. Or perhaps more usefully, an eriostemma or archiboldiana. Speaking of, wouldn't lobbii be cool on those arcing wires above?

I'm really glad you brought up ladders because I've been pondering them for a while. There's this really cool 100yo ladder sitting in the basement of a house my parents are in the process of selling and I told them I want them to hold onto it. I'm sure they'll find some use for it before I have a space big enough to accommodate it, but I always loved the idea of hooking it up on a stretch of ceiling near a window and letting a group of Hoyas travel across it overhead. Your custom bamboo rack really does sound like a good idea.

I definitely think that section in front of sliding balcony doors is the first thing I'm going to try and conquer. The light and heat of my area is super intense, and it would be really cool to have a living curtain of western-light-tolerant Hoyas diffusing the light.

Some mansion owning people should totally hire us to create their grow spaces, huh? :P

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found a few more interesting ideas to help incorporate plants into our living spaces. The Golly Pods are pretty neat.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Indoor Plants

• cpawl
    11 years ago

Mike, thanks for sharing the link.I would love a few of there ideas.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions