Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

More spring Hoya blooms

mdahms1979
14 years ago

I have a bunch of Hoyas in bloom or bud right now with one first time bloomer I am very impressed with. There is lots of new growth so hopefully I will see a bunch more first time bloomers by early summer.

Hoya patella IML 1096 has been a slow grower and is blooming for the first time with a single 1.25" flower.

The plant is small with pubescent leaves around 3" long and 1.25" wide and a thin wiry stem. My plant is two years old and still in a 2.5" pot although I think I will pot it up to a 4" pot this summer.

My Hoya blashernazii is blooming again with a beautiful bunch of flowers so I couldn't resist taking some photos.

A closer look up at the flowers.

A little closer.

I will add more photos when the other plants flower later this week.

Mike

Comments (16)

• golden_ca_2000
    14 years ago

Beautiful shots Mike! I love your Hoya blashernazii - the flower has such a long stem! What is the fragrance like? It also looks like a very healthy plant with very nice shiny leaves! Anyways thanks for sharing and keep the photos coming!

• tigerdawn
    14 years ago

gorgeous! I love both of them!

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

Ohhh and Ahhh.....very nice!

• kellyknits
    14 years ago

Your pictures are amazing! Beautiful flowers! I acquired both of those last year, so now I know what I have to look forward to!

Kelly

• cpawl
    14 years ago

Both of these hoyas are going on my most wanted list.Thanks for the pictures.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. :)

Golden the long peduncle was one of the reasons I got this species, really shows off the flowers well. Hoya patella's bloom opened last night and I thought I could detect a faint sweet scent but nothing pronounced, Hoya blashernazii has no scent.

Kelly you will love both of these plants, hopefully your blashernazii performs as well as mine has because mine has been blooming frequently.

The other Hoyas that have buds right now are Hoya lambii and Hoya pubicalax, both ones that I have posted numerous times. I will try to get some photos when the buds open.

Mike

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

I love them both Mike! So PRETTY! The leaves are so nice on your Hoya blashernazii.

• kellyknits
    14 years ago

Mike,

Do you wipe your leaves off with anything? The blashernazii is so shiny! Mine is very small right now, but just started growing a new vine!

Kelly

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kelly that is a new leaf that has just matured but the older leaves are more matte than shiny. I did use the flash for that photo as well so there is some reflection.
    My plant struggled when it was small but once it developed a good root system it grew well. This plant is also about two years old now and it is still in a shallow 4" pot that is just crammed with roots. I will pot this one up some time this summer so that it has more room to grow.

Mike

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Mike, they both are such beautiful flowers!
    I've lost some of my hoyas due to cold winter, have been very busy so I haven't had much time to post much.
    Congrats! I have pachycladas(regular, red & white) in bud, hueskeliana in bloom.

• dmichael619
    14 years ago

Congrats on the blooms Mike!!!! they look great.

I finally have some things coming into bloom like Australis "Lisa" and heuschkeliana. Soon though the plants will be in full swing as all throughout the gh I am finding loaded peduncles!!!

• Denise
    14 years ago

I love them both, but I especially love the patella flower. Is patella an eriostemma?

Denise in Omaha

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Denise according to my book Hoyas of North Eastern New Guinea Hoya patella is classified in the Physostemla section of the genus. Hoya patella is found in New Guinea which is thought to be the center of distribution for Physostemla section species. Other species in the section include Hoya megalaster, Hoya campanulata, Hoya cystiantha and Hoya subcalva with a total of at least 17 species in the section.

Hoya patella to me looks very delicate but because it grows at 300- 400 meters altitude it is not bothered by hot summer temperatures.
    Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: This photo is what convinced me to get this species. Swedish Hoya Society

• golden_ca_2000
    14 years ago

I can understand why - that is gorgeous Mike!!!

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well no Hoya lambii photos because when I got up this morning the buds were closed. It seems that sometimes the blooms are open for a few days while other times they close after just one. :(

Mike

• basketcase1212
    14 years ago

I love the yellow color. Patricia

Sponsored
More Discussions