Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greattigerdane

Where to locate hoyas

greattigerdane
19 years ago

Where can hoyas be located in plant nurseries in the Summerville SC area? My sister moved there form Buffalo and offered to look for some. If she finds any I'm interested in, she will send them my way.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Billy Rae

Comments (5)

• Kerstin_Linnea
    19 years ago

HI !
    I want to add here as nobody seems to respond to my other postings, I am looking for mailorder nurseries that sells hoyas and other succulents..
    Better yet, a good nursery with already established plant ( anything larger than 2,5 in pots.)
    Anybody?
    I really just know of kurtz and Logees..
    surely there must be some decent eastcoast companies.....?
    klk

• Heathen1
    19 years ago

I don't know about SC, but for KlK, Hoyas are fairly rare... you don't have much choices... you can try Smoley's and some overseas places (if you don't mind paying a huge phytosanitary cost) there's eBay and trading and pretty much, that's it, unless I missed something.

• florajilly
    19 years ago

I have purchased Hoyas from Smoley's on 2 occasions. The plants were well wrapped for shipping. The first time , the order took about 2 - 3 weeks. The second time , about 10 days ,for delivery. The nursery did not have 'archboldiana' ready and available at that time. I had specified that I did not want substitutions. Bob Smoley also sent a letter in the mail , printed and handwritten , apologising that they did not have 'archboldiana' . A refund cheque was included.
    Smoley's were amongst the vendors at our local Gardenfest , last month. I was there early and purchased 8 kinds which I did not have . I also met a wonderful and kind Hoya enthusiast , who gave me a cutting off her purchase...a variegated australis . She lives just up the coast. ( If you are reading this )...thank you , thank you , thank you !!
    The cutting is fine. It's in a small pot with a well draining soil mix. :)
    Sorry to hijack for that last message.

Hoyas can be very hard to find , even here in central Florida. I have had a few surprises at the local ' Big Box' stores.
    Last weekend , I went down the coast to Boynton Beach , which is in between West Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale. My young niece had a gymnastics competition. Afterward , I managed to haul both families over to a nearby nursery , called Tropic World . They were loaded with Hoyas , and a lot of mature ones in hanging pots. I really need to go back by myself or with DH , because the kids went haywire with all the animals there , and I couldn't concentrate !!
    I do not know if this nursery ships. Here is the toll free number 866-949-6753 The local number is 561-732-8813

Florajilly

• User
    19 years ago

Well Hi Gang,

I've heard of Laurays (I think it's in the Northeast somewhere), also Logees in Connecticut. Additionally, there's Kartuz in Calif., you may have to pay for shipping, & while I've heard his Hoyas are small, they're also said to be well grown. I've also heard of folks repeatedly using Bob Smolley's so they must be OK too.

I've never bought from nurseries, am fortunate be belong to Plant Societies in NYC. I encourage you all to look up yr. local Horticultural Societies & see what if any Plant Clubs or Gardening Societies they can referred you to.

You also have to really look around well at all florists, nurseries & greenhouses in yr. area. Just yesterday, in another part of Brooklyn, I visited a small nursery/plant shop I know. She had a bunch of H. carnosa variegates & tri-colors that another customer & I were discussing, along w/ the near-arrival of Spring. When the owner (an older Chinese woman) heard that I collected Hoyas, she recognized the name Hoya, but barely. When I went on to tell the other customer that Hoyas also come in diff. varieties w/ varying leaf shapes & growth habits, the owner pointed up above. Lo & behold, hanging high above us was a beautiful & lush hanging pot of H. Tsangii, which I never would have seen 'cause I wasn't looking up.

About an 8-10" pot (I'm guessing) for $15, quite reasonable. A bit large for me, but I'm tempted to buy it so that I'll have materials to swap this Spring, as currently none of my stuff is big enough to make cuttings from right now.

Moral of the story, look everywhere you can & always remember to LOOK UP! Good luck in your hunt!

• seaecho1
    19 years ago

That's so true - look up. Hanging plants can be missed entirely. I've done it myself. I was looking for a hanging type of plant, and dummy me, didn't look up. How could I be so dense? Anyway, I got a package deal of different types of carnosa from Cowboyflowerman on ebay. Wow! They were much bigger than I expected, and so healthy - I was just blown away. Three of them were Hindu ropes. I love them! I think they were $15, plus shipping. Here's what I got:

Tricolor
    Variegated (Krimson Princess)
    Holliana
    Marlea
    Exotica (Krimson Princess)
    Compacta variegated
    Compacta picta (Mauna loa)
    Compacta Hindu rope

After that experience, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again! Its very hard to find hoyas here in S. California, which really surprised me. I have yet to see a single one for sale anywhere. I don't get it!

Randi

Sponsored