Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wrynsmom

I've got a real problem . . .

wrynsmom
14 years ago

I can't stop buying Hoyas!!! (And that also describes everyone who will be reading this post, so I don't feel too alone. ;) )

I went to the local walmart, today, and they had a very nice, healthy Hoya kentiana/wayetii (in one of the larger EA hanging baskets) from last year, marked down to $2.50! How was I supposed to pass that up? HOW? So, I didn't try to. I figure, if it's been alive this long, then it's got a fighting chance!!!

Anyway, just thought I'd tell you about my crazy find. :)

Carolyn

Comments (7)

• cpawl
    14 years ago

Yes I have the same problem and I am running out of space.I was just looking at heat pumps on line. I am thinking I might have to clean out the car port of the non working car and junk for next winter.All I have do is get hubby to think its a good idea.I have all spring and summer to get him to think its his idea,wink wink.
    I would have also got it and I all ready have this hoya.

Cindy

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, Cindy!!!

Yes, I already had this particular Hoya, as well. Go figure. My husband knows I bought it, and he's none too pleased. Just wait til my packages get here from Hawaii and Florida . . . !!! hahahaha Not to mention the trades I just did! OOOOOOOOPS!

Carolyn

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

Hi Cindy,

I have the same problem buying or trading for Hoya's and with DH, but we work it out eventually, I usually come up with some witty and off the wall comment that shuts him up. So here's my thought.

Try this ...... tell your DH your going to convert the non working car into a retro greenhouse for your Hoya's...... Rather than it sit there doing nothing and taking up valueable space.
    Pop the trunk and start measuring the inside top for grow lights.....
    Or use the the top of the hood(cover first) to pot up and root new plants on like that wayettii you just got for future trades ;)

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

LOL. You gals are too funny. :)

I just got a box of Hoya cuttings (4 more species) today and while potting them up I pretended that they were cuttings from my plants to sell at the next orchid society meeting. Now that was not a total lie because I did take two small cuttings from the new ones to root and sell, the others well they're not going anywhere.

Carolyn I can't blame you for not passing up such a great deal, enjoy your new Hoya.

Mike

• luvofroses
    14 years ago

Ok Carolyn, You need to start looking for me too. Our walmart has the K P in a nice 6in pot nice and full which I now have. But I have been looking for Ruby Sue which has not been seen down here at all.(I have been on the hunt for a while) Keep your eyes open if you find one I will pick it up when we see each other. Weather's bound to break soon. I am glad you got your Wayettii. I love mine first one I found at Walmart in Mesquite last year.
    Ann

• moonwolf_gw
    14 years ago

I guess the hoya bug bit us all! I'm having trouble with space as always. I've decided to give away some of my collection. When my polyneura goes to my one friend, it's place will be taken by, hopefully, a Hindu rope (compacta)! Some nice folks have offered me cuttings of it. I love all the trading I've done so far and all the new hoyas that I have. My recent favorite is fungii.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Great buy Carolyn...can't beat that bargain!

Lolol...LGS! Too funny, I love how you think!