Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greentoe357

March blooms

greentoe357
10 years ago

Do people do this here? Or was that in "Houseplants"? Anyway, I guess they do now. :-) Post pics of your March blooms!

Here's my Hoya brevialata showing winter the finger. (Snow AGAIN tomorrow/Monday and never over 40 in the next 10 days. Grrrr!)

Comments (34)

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Three weeks later.

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

5 days later, flowers are opening all at once.

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Same day, flowers fully open.

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And the back view, with fuzzy corolla lobes deeply recurved.

This is the first time this hoya has bloomed, so I am pretty excited, as I am sure you can tell by the number of pics I've posted. :-)

This is an EA one that was pouting for a while in the fall after repot. The story is here if anyone's interested: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hoya/msg090019167294.html.

• vermonthoyas
    10 years ago

Very nice photos of brevialata Greentoe! There is nothing like those first blooms from a plant! That is the thrill that keeps me plugging along in this hobby!

Doug

• Maimai93
    10 years ago

Hi,
    Thanks for these marvellous photos.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi GT,

Really great shots, I love how fuzzy like fur the last one looks.

• Denise
    10 years ago

Nice macro shots! Brevialata has sweet little blooms - delicate, pretty, fuzzy...

I find it interesting how some Hoyas start to shoot out lots of new growth, while others start budding up. Seems few do both. Yesterday was a watering & examination day, and I noticed buds just starting to form on pubicalyx 'Bright One', micrantha, fischeriana, fungii & callistrophylla. Will be doing more of the same in the next few days and watching those closely. Thank goodness the plants don't seem to know that winter is still in full rage! Sunday, it was a high of 3, yesterday wasn't much better. It's supposed to moderate in the next few days, but I am just SICK of it this year!

Denise in Omaha

• teisa
    10 years ago

Wow GT that is stunning shots! That is why I fell in love with Hoyas. It amazes me that something that beautiful comes from the tiny stem that it starts from. It is amazing to watch isn't it? Thanks for posting!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

LOVE the pictures!! They're all great, my favorite is the last pic. Very cool! Congrats!!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Not blooms yet...but my Hoya aff. parasitica 'Lao 2' has appx. 6 peduncles with buds in varying sizes...this one is the largest one...

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, PugLvr, these are very cool-looking. You must have caught them at a very transient time - I do not see anything similar when I google it. Thanks for sharing!

• vermonthoyas
    10 years ago

Really nice photo PugLvr! The buds are so fresh and Spring like. Gives us Northerners hope that this hard winter will begin to fade soon.

Doug

• vermonthoyas
    10 years ago

Here is a photo of Hoya waymaniae, which is blooming for the third time overall and the second time on this foot long peduncle.

Doug

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks greentoe and Doug!!

Love your waymaniae, I love this one...when you take the picture just at the right angle the blooms can look like horse's teeth,lol...Congrats! I'm hoping mine will bloom this Spring or summer...

Here's one from a year or two ago that reminds me of horse's teeth...

• vermonthoyas
    10 years ago

Thanks Pug! I think waymaniae is worth growing just for the leaves alone as it gets such beautiful color and patterns. It looks completely unlike any other Hoya. I have heard about the flowers looking like horse teeth before, and I'm going to have to take people's word for it, as I have never looked into the mouth of a horse:)

Doug

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

Yes! We do do this here. :)

I really enjoyed your brevialata photos. I haven't gotten to see these blooms in person yet, but I've always liked the look of them. They look just like fuzzy slippers from above.

My plants have been blooming up a storm lately, which is good because I was starting to think they'd decided to punish me for cutting down on the time I spent with them.

There was one plant that I was especially excited about, with the cutest little microscopic yellow flowers, in umbels of 3-4 flowers. They smelled really sweet and it was a new bloomer to me. I haven't gotten around to pulling out the flat and figuring out the name of the plant yet, tho. Next time it blooms I'll take pictures. When I started, I thought big flowers were the best, but it turns out I like the smallest ones best - they're like a little secret between you and the plant.

Pug, that Lao 2 photo is amazing. Mine has formed buds a couple of times now, but they always seem to abort on me.

Doug, I'm really jealous you are blooming waymaniae. I like orange blooms the best!!

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

The pics are all so precise and gorgeous. I really enjoyed seeing all the different angles and varieties.

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

> I really enjoyed your brevialata photos.

Thanks, GG and everyone else.

I did not bloom from cuttings, mine was bought as an established plant. But it bloomed relatively easily for me under lights. Since I posted, four more peduncles grew! And on that same peduncle, another set of buds was visible just 4 days after the blooms fell off. It would be nice to have a plant almost constantly in bloom. I thought they were like unicorns - existing only in stories people pass around. :-)

> My plants have been blooming up a storm lately

PIC-TURES! PIC-TURES! (everybody!) PIC-TURES!

>, which is good because I was starting to think they'd decided to punish me for cutting down on the time I spent with them.

Maybe they did! Sometimes plants flower when stressed. And you know how they say hoyas thrive on neglect? Well, yours are thriving!

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

Haha. Maybe some of them are enjoying my neglect. ;)

Those that don't like to dry out didn't like it so much, though, so I need to sweeten them up with chocolate and flowers or⦠seaweed and fish?

I'll take some pictures tonight. ^_^

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

more 'rhp'

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Pubicalyx 'pink silver'

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

Ooo. If I were a

, that RHP is what I'd want in my bouquet! Even the leaves look like blood-stained daggers.

This post was edited by greedyghost on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 16:39

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great Pubicalyx, PugLvr! I love how the blooms can't decide what color they want to be.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Lol GG...I just love your very cool and appropriate descriptions :o) You definitely have the knack and talent for it...

Thanks GT...for whatever reason my 'rhp' seems to have several of these two tone buds, I think its pretty neat too!

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 9:56

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

One of the 'lao 2' buds opened and it smells really wonderful!!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Couple more buds...

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Australis 'lisa'

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Beautiful beyond words everybody, just amazing pix, thanks for all your posting efforts!

PG, who only has Euph miliis blooming right now.

• teisa
    10 years ago

Yes I agree that those are all wonderful pictures everyone! I Really love the RHP! Wow that is my favorite color! Can't wait for mine to bloom!

I'm like PG all I have blooming is COT!

....sigh maybe later this spring....

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks PG and Teisa,

Here's one of the 2 tone 'rhp' buds that opened up...

• amberlynn1986
    10 years ago

hi guys! it has brightened my spirits some seeing the beautiful blooms on here... i may not give up on hoyas just quite yet... ;)

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Glad you might not give up, Amber. :) Nice to see you around again.

I think everyone should keep a passion project that's just for them. Can be hard, but it's how we restore ourselves.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz