Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hoya Carnosa not flowering

Posted by jomasire New York City (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 25, 09 at 23:25

I have had this hoya carnosa for several years. Always looks very healthy and grows constantly but has never given a single flower. I had in a hanging pot for a couple of years and now it has been in a non-hanging pot for another several years and no flowers. It is located in a well lit corner, some direct sun through shear courtain.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoya Carnosa not flowering

Probably just needs more sun. The ones that bloom for me are grown directly in front of a window, against the glass, no curtains or blinds to obstruct any of the light. The exception to that would be a south exposure, which is pretty intense - then I'd recommend a sheer to keep your plant from looking washed out.

Denise in Omaha

o

Denis:

I think the same.
My 7 hoyas carnosa are outdoor.

you can see the LINK/URL

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: flowers summer 2009

o

Dear jomasire
I have had a hoya carnosa for five years. Just like yours mine too always looks very healthy and grows constantly but never gave flowers until recently. I was talking to my mother who lives in Europe on Skype one day and happened to mention to her about my hoya carnosa not blooming. She suggested me give it a little sugar. I put a teaspoon of sugar on top of its soil and within 2-3 weeks my hoya carnosa gave flowers. You may want to try a little sugar too.
Good luck!

o

Jomasire, I hope your hoya blooms for you!

Sue, after reading your post, I decided to try your mother's recommendation about the sugar. I read somewhere else about someone doing that and it worked. I can't remember where I read it though. I put the the same amount of sugar on my carnosa, pubicalyxes Pink Silver and Red Buttons and motoskei.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Brad, I'd be careful w/ this. Am thinking I'd try it too, but I' would have suggested you only try one plant at a time lest it bring ants, or bug problems, especially indoors (where I'll do it). I don't know if you grow indoors or out.

o

Pirate girl, I grow my hoyas both outside and inside. I've been taking them outside since last month and bringing them back in at night. They're not outside right now because of the rainy and windy weather we've been having.
I guess I did go a little overboard rather than just trying it on one hoya, but that's the excited gardener in me!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Brad, I am just curious to know if sugar helped your hoyas to bloom. Mine keeps blooming :)

o

Sue, no flowers yet, but I put a tablespoon sugar in the water last time I watered my carnosa. I put a teaspoon on top of the soil like you said after reading your post. The plants are growing like crazy though. Some of the carnosa cuttings I got have peduncles on them so I might see flowers soon.

How large is your plant? Can you post a picture of it?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!