Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpawl

australis

cpawl
11 years ago

I got this hoya from my very first group order from DL.

Comments (13)

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

There's several different subspecies of H. australis. I like the colour on the petals.

• cpawl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry I should of given the rest of the info on this hoya it IML0006 australis ssp.australis.

• cpawl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Took another photo this afternoon.

• Denise
    11 years ago

Wow, I love the magenta on the edges. I may have to add this to my wish list!

Denise in Omaha

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Really, it's not just the color of those tips, but the shape too. Looks particularly like porcelain to me, just exquisite!

• cpawl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks TB,PG and Denise.That second bloom has begun to open.

Cindy

• alba_gardener
    11 years ago

Oh how cute! I want this hoya to add to my small collection.
    Alba in Hawthorne,CA

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

This is my H. australis ssp rupicola which is flowering now. It doesn't have that colour near the petal tips, only near the base. Also have ssp tenuipes and ssp sanae but neither have flowered.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Very nice Cindy. I have this one as well and it has been a very good grower. I like that the leaves of this subspecies are on the smaller side.

Mike

• cpawl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike I got this as a cutting back in 2008 and It is still small.I cant seem to get it to grow.I also like that the leaves stay on the small side.
    Has your plant flowered yet?
    Very pretty TB.

This post was edited by cpawl on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 19:36

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

My plant is in it's second year from a cutting. At first it grew very compact like a small shrub. This winter a fast growing vine appeared and I wouldn't be surprised if a peduncle formed on it this summer.

Mike

• cpawl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sounds just like mine but mine is a slow grower.This winter it started to grow a new vine and this is where it grow its first pediuncle.

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

I agree that those markings are lovely!

I just love the subtle variation in australis flowers. I remember when I first started collecting Hoyas, I thought: australis = boooring. I wouldn't even buy other Hoyas with white flowers. Now, I get very excited when an australis ssp. or collection has a particularly lovely curve or spot of color. It's like looking through wedding china patterns.

I bought 0007 and 0144 on my last Liddle order, but I agonized over the australis options for so long now I can't remember why I chose those two...

Here's one of my original australises. It has cute little spots in between some of its petals, but that's about it for creativity. This photo is from its last flowering, but it's full of buds again now. I was only too aware of this when a friend took a seat next to it and I spent the whole evening worrying he was going to get up and crash his chair into the heavy bud-laden vine.

Don't people realize my home is for plants, not people?!

This post was edited by greedyghost on Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 16:52

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions