Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hoya ID

Posted by nurse_boy Victoria (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 0:33

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums although have been lurking in the back ground for a little while. There is some great advice from knowledge people here and I was wondering if I can take advantage of that. My partner bought me a new hoya a couple of weeks ago from an Orchid show and it is labelled hoya pattella. Of all the pictures and information I've been able to find of hoya patella I don't think that is what it is. So I was wondering if I could have some help to id it. Hopefully the picture uploads will work.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Nurse boy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hoya ID

Sorry about the photo coming out sideways. Not sure how to fix that on my phone. Here's another photo.

o

And lastly here's another photo a bit closer. Let me know if anyone wants a different angle. Unfortunately it doesn't have any peduncles or flowers which would make the process easier.

o

Hey nurse boy,

As you surmised, it's definitely not patella, which has wider, shorter, fuzzy leaves. It looks like pauciflora, to me.

Source: A New Zealand Grower

This is a plant that always did really well for me, without any special needs. It tolerates drought well and grows pretty quickly. So, I was taken aback when I recently nearly lost it. Luckily I was able to bring it back from the grave from a desiccated last vine. A few months later it's looking great, has grown out, and I appreciate it more than ever! I think you'll love it and it's a great gift!

Glad to hear from you! :)

This post was edited by greedyghost on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 1:05

o

Hey greedy ghost, just checked a few photos on Google and that is exactly what it looks like. I looking forward to it flowering. Thank you very much for the id!

o

Nurse Boy,

GG is right about it being Hoya pauciflora, which happens to be one of my absolute favorite Hoyas. The most blooms, and, or, buds, that I've had on it at one time is eight, and that was in a cool, humid, basement grow tent. I used to think that it would only flower under those conditions, but this winter it flowered 3 separate times in the regular house at 68°F with pretty dry conditions.

Here is a photo of the flower from this year:

o

Hey greedy ghost, just checked a few photos on Google and that is exactly what it looks like. I looking forward to it flowering. Thank you very much for the id!

o

Thanks for that Vermont hoyas. It does seem to have nice blooms. I just hope I can give it the cooler conditions that it needs. Might be a bit difficult here in Australia!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here