Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Attempting Aquatic Growing

moonwolf_gw
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

After seeing Jennifer grow a KP cutting in water successfully, I am going to try it too! I'm not sure on the variety yet (carnosa or pubicalyx most likely) but I can't wait to try it! Now if I can just find the right vase....

Any tips and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (7)

• jakalfoshakal
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

im slowly converting everything i can to hydroton. I (try) to start them in a rooting jar. Some i have successfully taken from soil to hydroton with minimal stress and bottom heat.
    ones i have in HT:
    multiflora-soil convert
    lasiantha-soil convert
    preatorii-soil convert and most fussy hoya ive ever tried to grow *hope this one makes it*
    macgillivrayi-cutting started in water-recently went to hydroton it had a root explosion
    imperialis-cutting started in water
    pubicalyx pink silver-soil convert
    affinis-soil convert

the lasiantha after 3 very happy years(overpotted) has started to branch at every node this year and i cannot imagine her being happy any other way. I suspect that it is from the help of the hydroton supplying humidity as the water evaporates.

She is my inspiration and seeing the success with this plant is what made me decide to change everything over. I nearly lost this plant in soil and this saved her almost immediately.

I do find that growing this way requires much more feeding (almost like growing in spent soil) i feed every time i water (vf-11 or weak balanced orchid food)and will usually do a flush when i see deposits on the HT.

i do find that starting roots is a product of warmth in the water. For me during warmer months if i put a few cuttings in the jar and leave it in 2-3 days i have clusters of tangled roots, but i have to wait 2-3 weeks when it is cooler.

Carnosas and imperialis are the only ones i have growing in just water and they to do just fine with the correct amount of light. I do have a cousin that got a cutting of a carnosa from my grandmother over 7 years ago and has kept it in the same plastic water bottle she took it home in and it is completely root bound but blooms all the time in southern exposure. This plant has taken over her kitchen window.

As far as containers are concerned i use whatever i can get my hands on as long as they are clear and plastic. This lets me poke holes in them, keep an eye on the roots and water levels. right now i have things in dixie cups, old cookie cutter holder, cut up 3 liter bottle, and an old glass crystal vase. Which is not my favorite: it doesnt allow me to poke holes 1.5 inches from the bottom for a water reservoir, this poses multiple problems for me. i think they need the air flow to produce strong roots in this medium(doesnt apply to submerged in water plants-weird). Sometimes i can overwater as it does not let excess water come out which keeps the roots soggy.

Im no expert by any means, but i do know that i have some that just prefer to grow this way. I know a few people here have had success growing this way as well and i look forward to hearing what they suggest to you as well. Keep us updated on how your cuttings are doing!!

Here are a few pics: hope you dont mind :)

This years rooting corner:

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Great photos and explanation of Semi-hydroponic growing, thanks for posting your experience.

Mike

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Jsainz,
    Another convert! I grow most of mine in hydroton, started converting them in 2008. I agree about feeding...it's rare that I water without feeding. It's certainly been a much easier way for me to grow these.

Just got some of the plant gel stuff that I'm going to try out with some carnosa cuttings. Will have the same apprehensions with it as you do with the vase...Haven't quite figured out how I'll flush it.

May try it for rooting as well!

Good luck!

Kelly

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jsainz, good luck with your plants! I'm not converting any of my plants to hydroton but maybe someday I'll try it with a plant or two. Hmm, maybe I'll use plastic bottles instead for healthier roots. You mean just to punch holes in the bottom and set the bottle on a tray? Wow that sounds superbly easy (I'm not being sarcastic, I just find it interesting about the roots liking the air flow)!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• jakalfoshakal
    12 years ago

i agree with you kelly it just seems soo much easier (on me and the plants), cleaner and i just like being able to see whats going on with the roots. Hey we are hydroton twins thats when i started converting too LOL!! As for the vase, when i saw this post i started looking for ways to get holes in them. Not just vases but i started feeling reeeeally guilty about having so many decorative pots that i dont use because of the lack of drainage. So what i found were drill bits made for glass and ceramic (they look like spades)and im going to start drilling holes in them. The hubby says the house is starting to look like a scene from the movie signs (all the plastic dixie cups everywhere), so time for some decorative pots i guess. Yes they do like/need the occasional flush, i find they perk up after a good bath. Keep us updated on the rooting in HT, all of the plants in the last photo are rooting in HT (wishing you and me luck with the rooting). I do find that the bottom heat and a produce bag over the top are helping a lot. Even with the bag on top the air still comes in through the drainage/reservoir holes and i have max humidity, but i can still see the bag *breathing* all day.

moon yup you can do the bottom with a tray but i find measuring 1.5 inches from the bottom and either burning (with a large nail) or drilling holes eliminates the tray completely and still leaves a reservoir for the water. When i started experimenting with potting medium i was using orchid bark on a couple and they liked that as well but it dried out way too fast, not to mention having to clean out the humidity trays got very tiresome for me. The combo of HT, modified jars/cups has given the plants just enough humidity and air flow that they seem very happy, and im glad the maintenance went down considerably :)

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks jsainz! Now I get it: just fill the bottle up with water to the holes! What's wrong with my brain these days lol? Just the rush of getting things ready for spring I guess :) .

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• jakalfoshakal
    12 years ago

oh i know moon, I caught the spring fever BAD this year!

Sponsored
SparkWise Electric (aka Max Electric)
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Expert Electricians for Electric Service and Lighting