Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepeuve

looking for the oldest hoya carnosa

pepeuve
14 years ago

Hello:

Sorry but my English isn�t very good.

I�m looking for the oldest "Hoya carnosa" betwen people at forums all over the World.

I have got a 22 years old hoya carnosa and you can watch here:

http://hoyaspepeuve.blogspot.com/2009/11/hoya-carnosa-hija-uno.html

If you have or you know person that has one more old that I have, please, write me.

I�d like to show your hoya at my blog.

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: 22 years old

Comments (12)

• riap
    13 years ago

I had a 40+ year old Hoya carnosa that died this past year. His name was Jose. Impacted soil and rot rot got him but I managed to root cuttings from him that are doing fantastic. His name is Jose 2.0 and I hope he'll outlive me!! Watch not to overwater and repot when that soil gets hard and impacted. I wish I had done so this past summer.

• bustinbugs
    9 years ago

I have my mother's 45+ year old hoya and several of the plant's offspring. They all bloom every summer and are a lovely reminder to all of the family who has a bit of her that Mom cared for us all and bloomed in her own way.

• Denise
    9 years ago

Heirloom Hoyas are pretty common and I'm betting a lot of us have starts off of Hoyas from family members who have been long gone. My carnosa was started from my step-grandmother's. I think I got my first start of it in the mid-80's and by then, her mother plant was over 20 years old. I think the only other kind of plant I've seen that has been passed down is a Christmas cactus. Thankfully, no one has passed me one of those as I always seem to kill them! LOL! That's probably why you hear of Hoyas - they're easy to grow and universally admired. I'd be interested in hearing of other plants that have a history of being passed down and survived multi-generations.

Denise in Omaha

• mallmond52
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My hoya is 50years 30 to 40 blooms every

Year.its a monster 9ft tall 3ft diameter. Passed down

From my mom.

• marco
    9 years ago

My carnosa plant was started 8 years ago from a plant that my 90 year old neighbors grandmother brought over from Germany in the late 1880's. It is so fertile that every single vine has a peduncle at almost every node. She passed away last April but this years blooms reminded me of her.

Denise, her family left her Christmas cactus with me as a gift. It lasted less than 2 months !

marco

• Paul Waterstreet
    4 years ago

My Aunty Nora since passed had a Hoya C near her doorway entrance in .Albury.n.s.w..australia it was there definitely for 60 +years very large Im a Horticulturist myself and was fascinated by it..Ironically it suddenly died 22mnth before her at 9393yrs ....she was a great and keen gardener.

• Pepeuve Garcia
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Esta hoya tambien es mía. Ahora mismo tiene unos 15 años. llegué a contarle 142 pompones. Os dejo album de fotos y video. Espero que os guste. En otro momento hablaré de mi hoya carnosa madre que ahora debe tener unos 30 o 32 años.

Album Carnosa Beethoven

Video:

• Roz van Zyl
    3 years ago

This is my first time on Houzz. I feel a bit stupid as I don’t really know how to rey to a specific comment. So different from Facebook. Marco -could you post a pic of your plant started from such an historic plant

• Tara Johnson
    3 years ago

We have a Hoja that is over 100 years old passed down from my great grandmother who it was passed down to from another family Member. My great Gma was born in 1902 if that tells you anything!!

• Ivan Nano
    2 years ago

My hoya was from the plant my Mom got when I was born. She got it from a woman in her 80s who got hers when she was a girl.

That puts my plant at least 125 years old. Not sure where the older neighbour got hers so it's likely much older.

• Julie Hutchins Koch
    last year

I have a Hoya Carnosa over 100 years old! The plant was passed down from my great aunt to my father and then to me. It still blooms and is honestly so hardy and beautiful all the time. It seems to thrive on neglect!

Sponsored