Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyclonenat

Wintering hoyas

cyclonenat
12 years ago

Here its coming into winter so i was wondering how to winter my hoyas inside with no artificial light etc. How often should i water them etc. We get frosts and rainy days alot. They are still growing, the temperature high today was 20 celcius but it only gets too 10 or 12 as a high in winter?

Comments (12)

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

It depends on the species you are growing as some like a dryer rest while others want year round moisture and light conditions. Some species like a cool winter to get them in the mood to bloom but warm growers don't want to go below 15C with 10C as an absolute low. Many Hoyas can take cool temperatures but it's best not to chance it because some will not recover from the cold. Feel free to list your Hoyas and we can tell you if there are any that need special care.

It sounds like your winters are quite gloomy and if that is the case you want to give your Hoyas all the sun they can get. If you are able to you can use artificial light to help them along and you can use a timer and just give them 4-6 hours minimum if they have some other light or 8-12 hours otherwise. I think many of us on the forum use some form of artificial light so if you are interested and have any questions we can surely help you there as well. Having said that it would be nice to hear from people who rely on natural light even during the gloomy winter period.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I used only natural light this winter. I know Denise has long experience doing so with success and so I decided to try it out as I'm in her hood now.

Some of my Hoyas kept growing, or grew intermittently, others did nothing. I simply watered those that were actively growing more frequently. They were located in eastern or western windows, and most of the australis group were actually in the north window and were still active.

I did move the temperate plants into a set of aquariums, as the temperatures in my apartment only accommodated cool to intermediate plants. So, those had artificial light.

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks my plants are obovata australis pubicaly x polyneura nicholsonia pauciflora and carnosa i also have a couple chain cactus tree aloe and a baby adenium

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Well good news because your Hoya carnosa, pubucalyx, obovata, pauciflora and polyneura are all fine in cool temperatures and can go down to 10C at night. The cool winter will stimulated some of these to bloom.
    The Hoya australis and nicholsoniae plus your other plants would be best with a low of 15C. None of your plants need a dry rest but if they are not actively growing you can reduce the water like GG mentioned, just letting them dry a little more than usual.

I think your plants should do well but if you have any other questions or problems do let us know.

Mike

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks on my australis one leaf grew really funny it is bent in half so the purple new growth is on the underside yes i have checked that there is no bugs it looks really different. all my hoyas are still growing steadily and the chain cactus is growing buds. the adenium isnt too happy. do they go dormant/deciduos

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Yes I believe that Adenium go dormant but perhaps someone else with experience growing them can answer that question.

Mike

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just bought a variegated hoya for $17.99 NZ it has the white around the edges and some white leaves too will this one be ok with my conditions. I have the fire going sometimes at night. The shop i bought this plant at has hoya keysii what is this plant like?

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/cyclonenat

Congrats on your new Hoya. There are many different kinds of var. Hoya. If you post a picture someone might better help you identify it.

Some common variegated Hoyas:

I believe keysii is no longer considered a proper name for what is H. australis ssp. australis. This is a very beautiful, easy-growing plant. Some say it is reluctant to bloom, but I haven't offered mine very optimal conditions, so I couldn't say.

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi thanks the plant is the 1st one you showed. Is $14.38 American expensive for a plant? Ok thanks the australis i might be getting has peduncles etc it is the price above as well.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

$14(USD) is not expensive for a rooted plant, but we might be able to get a good sized carnosa var. variegated (commonly referred to as 'Krimson Queen') for less around here, because it is more commonly available. I think it is a nice price for an australis ssp. australis w/peduncles for sure.

• cyclonenat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cool the carnosa had just finished flowering and has many peduncles too. My fishtail hoya has lots of baby peduncles on each set of leaves

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

I agree with GG...Australis w/peduncles for $14 is definitely worth the money...I've had one for over two years and still waiting for a peduncle. I also have a large hanging basket of fishtail hoya (I got it as cuttings "Thanks" Kelly)...its grown quite large but has never bloomed...still hoping!

Congrats on your new hoya.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer