Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Just thought I'd share

quinnfyre
14 years ago

I went to the Philadelphia Flower Show about a month ago, and haven't managed to go through the pics to upload them, but I thought I'd share a couple pics of a glorious Hoya retusa:

I can only hope mine gets this big someday.

Comments (12)

• tishfromwis
    14 years ago

That's so cool quinnfyre!!! Reminds me of 4th of July fireworks!!! Is this one hard to grow?

Tish

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

That is definitely a very interesting looking hoya, very different. Reminds me of Linearis with the very thin leaves/branches.

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pug, it does look a bit like linearis, but while linearis is all droopy and long looking, retusa grows in a sort of 'spiky' fashion, sticking out every which way. It actually seems to grow in little bushy leaf clusters, with sections of stem in between. And what you can't tell from the pic is that the leaves are flatter, more like other hoya leaves, rather than rounded, like linearis. But all in all, they're both weird hoyas, aren't they?

Tish, I don't know yet if they're hard to grow. I have a cutting that I want to live permanently in my terrarium, and it is doing well in there so far. If you look above at the pic: see the section of retusa in front the sign/label? My cutting is about half that size : )

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

I find that once this Hoya get going it tends to reach out in every direction until the leaves develop and weigh the stems down. I have not found mine hard to grow but this is another cool grower that likes a dip in temperatures at night to initiate flowering.

Quinnfyre do you oftne see Hoyas in these plant shows? I have never gone to such a show but it sure looks like fun.

Mike

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's mine:

It is in a 2.5 in pot, sitting in a 3 in net pot that has been attached to the manzanita branches with fishing line. So it kinda looks mounted, but isn't. Which means I can remove it easily if I need to take a look at it.

Mike, I don't remember seeing any hoyas before, but then again, I'm not sure I was keeping an eye out for them. There is so much going on. My favorite is actually the judging tables, where I can see a nice specimen grown by a hobbyist, so I can see what to aspire to. I'm always excited when I see something I am growing, and I was especially excited to see retusa, because I really wasn't expecting to see one in person; well, besides the one I am growing, that is.

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

Hi Quinn,

Interesting set up. Could I ask pls. what kind of Hoya is that leaf from on the lower left of the image -- variegated or very speckled? Pretty, makes me want it. Thanks.

• Denise
    14 years ago

Mike,

I belong to our local cactus/succulent club and I always enter some Hoyas and Dischidias in the show. It's always hard to pick which ones to enter, though...

Denise in Omaha

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The little leaf peeking up from the left is curtisii. I have it staked up for now because I didn't want it to hang over the pot and into the water I have in there for extra humidity. Also, it puts it up closer to the light. That one is potted, and is doing pretty well. I have another cutting that I mounted, and that one is starting to do well too. I haven't decided if both will stay in the terrarium, or if the potted curtisii will eventually live outside it, but for now, they will both hang out in there, and get more established.

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

Hi Quinn,

Geez, I didn't recognize it at all as Curtisii, a Hoya I've had for years (tho' mine is quite small) & has suffered some die back thru the years).

Thanks for IDing it.

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Mine are fairly easy. I water same as all my other hoyas.
    Flowers are really cool.

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

You've bloomed Curtisii Jan? Really, got any pix for us? (Pant pant drool)

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

PG, I meant my retusa. My curtisii died on me after cold spell.

Sponsored
More Discussions