Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackjumper_gw

Hoya Campanulata

jackjumper
13 years ago

This is really my favourite at the moment - very different from the rest.

[IMG]http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa358/jackjmp/Hoya.jpg[/IMG]

There may be quite a few flavours of this species, see

http://hortlog.blogspot.com/2011/03/hoya-campanulata-lookalikes-part1.html and http://hortlog.blogspot.com/2011/03/hoya-campanulata-lookalikes-part2.html.

I would really want to collect them all - does anyone grow different varieties of this plant ?

Comments (11)

• jackjumper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hmmm....how do I post pics here ?

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

I posted your picture directly for you Jack...(just copy the IMG code and paste it directly on the link. The Blooms are Gorgeous! Congrats and thanks for sharing! Unfortunately, I do not grow this one...SO beautiful!

Jack's Campanulata

I couldn't get your Blog to load though...It comes up "Page not found". Maybe you can repost it.

• cpawl
    13 years ago

How about this.

Cindy

Here is a link that might be useful: Hort blog

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Your blog is very impressive and that light yellowish coloured blooming plant is just gorgeous.
    I don't have any of the species form this group and so far they only campanulate flowered Hoya I have bloomed is my Hoya blasernazii.

Thanks for posting Jack.

Mike

• jackjumper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks puglvr1 and cpawl for putting it right.
    Actually, its not my blog - just found it by chance. Would love to get in touch with people who collect varieties of this species - and any other campanulate type for that matter.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

No luck thus far with the danumensis/campanulata/cysthiantha group. But I have to say I'm loving siariae. I have a couple of them and Philippines sp. #10 (FT) and they have to be the least fussy things ever. I like their leaf type, too.

/Mike I haven't acquired blashernaezii yet - would you say it's similarly tough?

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Yes GG it is but my plant was fussy as a cutting until it had a good root system developed.

Mike

• jackjumper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've tried blashernaezii twice - did not seem to work for me. Actually campanulata is not an easy plant also, seems to be less tolerant of dryness going by the skinny stem and thin leaves.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I just lost a danumensis cutting, and I know what you mean about the delicate structure. Some thin leaved/stemmed species are really tough, like paziae or buotii, but I can't think of one with big thin leaves that is.

I did root coriacea (similar characteristics) at the same time in the same conditions and both cuttings lost their leaves at the same pace as danumensis. However, they put out roots and the stems are still green and robust, with a hint of new growth on one, so it seems to be a bit more resilient.

Oh wait, I take back the slander against big thin leaves. I also had montana rooting, and it was super tough.

Clearly, not all species exhibit air roots equally (e.g. montana did but coriacea/danumensis did not). Does this characteristic correlate with the plant coming from a moist humid climate? Do fast-developing air roots act as a helpful stepping stone as the plant is putting down soil roots, increasing the success rate or do they simply mirror the maturation of growth happening below ground?

I think next time I try to root a campanulate species, I'm going to take Denise's advice and lay it flat along the bottom of the aquarium eggcrating.

• jackjumper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi greedyghost, yes definitely have to lay it flat to increase chances of root setting. Pin it down with something - U-shaped stake or rocks or whatever. Most importantly it need high humidity ! Even if you get it to grow, I also found that it may die back out of the blue so better make a few spare cuttings whenever possible.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

/Jack Sorry, I was not clear enough. Actually, I was not referring to exposing multiple nodes to the medium by laying it flat in the pot. I have done that the last couple times and: FAIL.

What I'm going to try next time is, within a rooting aquarium, lie the cutting full length flat along the eggcrate, directly above the warm water level, (with a couple of its nodes wrapped in sphagnum moss.) Usually cuttings left in this position go absolutely nuts with air and water roots. My hope is that I can keep a leaf or two this way. In the past what has happened is that the leaves turn 90% brown and dead within a day and eventually drop despite any amount of humidity (aquarium + misting). I know it sounds odd, but I'm tired of being pwned by this plant and am hoping a strategy of "Maxium Humidity. All Forces Go!" will turn the tide.

Of course, anyone who's rooted a cutting is the expert, not me. x_x

Also thanks for the good advice about taking cuttings when possible. Maybe some air rooting would be in order here. I know I remember somebody here always starts cuttings that way.

Sponsored