Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rennfl

Sowing serpens seeds

rennfl
11 years ago

An orchid friend is generously sending me half of her H. serpens seeds.

Any advice on how to sow and if it works, how to grow the seedlings?

Renee

Comments (14)

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Congratulations! That's very cool. I bet you end up with a mountain of serpens! If I were starting Hoya seeds today, given my experiences, I would plant them in their chunky destination soil (they loved it), I would give them constant warmth and humidity, and put them in a container that made it easy to get them close to strong light. The biggest hassle with my last batch was constantly trying to get them enough light. Once I changed their setup, my life was much easier.

Really, though, if you don't let them dry out, they are surprisingly sturdy little guys. Like beautiful little weeds they are.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Good for you Renee,

Pls. sow them quickly, Hoya seed is said to be short-lived.

I have some Pachyclada seeds potted last Dec. in mixture of AV mix & perlite in covered container & they're fine. I don't have lights for them, but give the a west window when there's sun. (You can likely search them on this Forum, Pachyclada seeds from Sue Tran.)

IMO the most important thing is to plant them in a container which closes tightly so that they do not lose their moisture.

A few years ago I'd planted some Hoya seed (Lacunosa I think) but sadly they dried out in their container & I lost them all, so that's why I suggest it's so important.

Good luck!

• rennfl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Seeds arrived last night, they will be planted today.

I am a little worried about enclosing them, mold growth is a problem here. So what I'm going to do is put half of them in an enclosed pot, and half in an open pot.

BTW, my ambient humidity is typically above 60%

Renee

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

The main goal of enclosing them is to keep the medium from drying out. If you can do that without covering them, then with your humidity, I'd say go for it.

Just keep in mind that it only takes one forgotaboutthem human error element to wipe out half your set. ;)

I don't know about everyone else, but I just can't wait to see what baby serpens look like! :)

• rennfl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well it has been a week, and nothing so far. They have not dried out at all. But I can see the seeds lol.

I ended up sowing them on spag, sitting partially in water, (like organic S/H) so they won't dry out, but the spag being new won't grow mold.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Renee

• rennfl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I spoke too soon yesterday, oh why am I so impatient lol

Two tiny tiny specks of green this morning! Yay!

Renee

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

So, when do we get pictures of baby serpens, Renee? :)

• rennfl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

GG - as soon as the green specks are big enough to see in a picture lol I'll be excited, baby's first picture.

And I'm up to 12 green specks this morning. Some of the first ones are starting to grow a little bit.

Renee

• rennfl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've got leaves!

No pics yet, I'm not a good enough photographer to get them.

Renee

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Can't wait for those baby serpen pictures Renee!!

• Klea
    11 years ago

So exciting that you've got little serpens seedlings! Can't wait to see pictures. How is your set up? What do you grow them in?

• rennfl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Finally getting around to posting pictures. These were taken last week, so they are a little bit bigger now.

Renee

• Klea
    11 years ago

So cool to see pics of your seedlings! They look very healthy and happy. They probably love the moist, but still textured growing medium. My serpens seedlings grow in a plain soil/sand/perlite mix, and although they look healthy I think they would like a little more moist air around their roots. Your set up looks very nice!

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

They are SO cute Renee!! Healthy looking too, good luck!! Thanks for the pics!

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus