Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OU: Alocasia Green Velvet

Posted by kellyknits 6/WV Eastern Panhand (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 8:33

Posted this photo about a year ago for identification:

Noid

Denise and Mike were able to identify it as Alocasia - specifically Green Velvet. I'm embarrassed to show the picture of how it looks now...but here goes:

Alocasia Green Velvet

Have read a little about care and am still not sure what went wrong. Anyone have any recommendations of what to do now? Did read where 2" cuttings of the stalk can rooted by just sticking it in the soil, watering and covering with plastic. Should I give it a try?

I really like this plant!

Thanks in advance!

Kelly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT: Alocasia Green Velvet

Whoops, that should have said "OT", not "OU"!

o
RE: OU: Alocasia Green Velvet

Cool plant. It looks like something that would show up in an optical illusion. I don't know anything about Alocasia, but I'm cheering you on!

o

They'll often go dormant over the winter in colder climates.

I find these do best in a free-draining soil - bark, pumice, perlite, and other grit.
This allows for frequent irrigation, and ample oxygen in the soil at all times.

Josh

o

I'm no help either...but its a very pretty plant Kelly...Good luck! I love the yellow outline around the edges.

o

It looks etiolated. My guess would be not enough light and maybe an overly water retentive soil. When I had an Alocasia I used a soil like Josh described, and I kept it in front of a south window where it got some direct sun during the winter. The only time it did poorly is when I put it outside in the sun during summer. Some leaves burned, but it survived just fine.

Supposedly they can be cut back and will resprout, and the cuttings can be rooted, but I've never done it.

o

Beautiful leaves but I would also guess etiolated. Has it been in that corner spot of your office this whole time?

o

Thanks for the help!

Paul, had to think about that...come to think of it I probably moved it shortly before that last picture because it was getting so big. It had been about 6 feet from a west facing window.

So, suggestion? Change the mix, move closer to light? Do I try cutting the stalk and rooting parts of it (notice it is MUCH taller than the 1st photo)?

Thanks again for the help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here