Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Comparison

Posted by denise 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 16, 10 at 9:13

Both my big-leaved verticillata and my variegated verticillata are blooming right now. The flowers are very close to the same, but the corona on the variegated form is slightly lighter... regular:
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
...variegated:

And while I'm posting, my latifolia finally opened. It looks surprisingly like verticillata, too!

They're all very fragrant, BTW.

Denise in Omaha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Comparison

And all very beautiful!!! Different fragrances? Can you describe them? I imagine the two verticillata are similar?

~Tish~

o

I second that! They're all just beautiful! You sure can bloom anything Denise! They do look very similar to each other with slightly different shades, but blooms that pretty...No one minds,lol...

o

You know, I'm not good at distinguishing fragrances. They all smell sweet, kind of perfumey. The verticillatas have the strongest fragrance. The latifolia I have to put my nose pretty close to smell.

And thanks for all the kind comments. I have a lot of happy looking plants - they seem to think summer is here, like the outside stuff does, probably because of our extraordinarily warm days we've had the last couple of weeks. Tonight's 35 degree low will give the outside stuff a reality check!

Denise in Omaha

o

Beautiful Denise! Are the flowers relativly the same size when you compare verticillata and latifolia?

We are forecast for a two degree below freezing night and cool weekend after a week with a summer like high approcahing 25C. Time to bring in the plants I have outside, no Hoyas though.

Mike

o

That's too funny Denise!!! You must live near me. Same kind of weather. Kind of messes up Spring blooms and aggravates me to no end. Also, it gets really windy and blows the blooms off the magnolias and the petals off all of the Spring bulbs. Can't do nothing but move and I'm staying put...

~Tish~

o

Tish... yes, it's been windy for us, too. Mostly a south wind, which is why it's been so warm.

Mike... the bloom size on latifolia is about the size as verticillata, but the individual flowers are more "splayed" (know what I mean - wide apart as oppossed to compactly close together...) As evening approaches, the kitchen smells like a perfume factory! (GH off kitchen via a slider...)

Denise in Omaha

o

• Posted by geosdee Zone 8 FL Panhandle (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 16, 10 at 22:17

Beautiful Denise.

Dee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here