Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denise_gw

Longifolia...

Denise
12 years ago

...is one I'm hoping to get more cuttings of this year to "plump up" my one puney cutting. I'm not complaining, mind you! I got that one cutting in my Liddle order last summer and it rooted quickly and now, as it barely begins to grow, it shot a peduncle and is now open...

It's a pretty flower, not extraordinary in either size or beauty, but the fragrance knocks my socks off! Can anyone tell me what it reminds them of? It's crazy powerful if you put your nose right up to it, even a little off-putting, but from a few inches away, it's intoxicating. Very sweet smelling. I'm not good at comparing scents unless you're talking about very common ones, like rose, lilacs, gardinias...

On the other hand, I suspect some people must have quite a sensitive sense of smell. I hear some think DS-70 smells like butter, but I have never detected a scent, nose-on-flower or plant loaded with flowers. Recently, a lady in my cactus club said that multiflora/javanica "smells wonderful." I'm like, "Huh??" I've never noticed a fragrance at all!! Makes me jealous!

Denise in Omaha

Comments (9)

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Wow, those are really pretty! Great shot, Denise!

I'm not good with scents either...however, I do think DS-70 smells a bit like butter!

Kelly

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

That's BEAUTIFUL Denise...is it white or does it have a hint of pink in there? Either way its a beauty!

Thanks for sharing!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Congratulations on the longifolia blooms Denise. I don't have this one but I do have Hoya shepherdii and it's blooms smell amazing as well. I am not sure if I could describe the scent either but it sort of reminds me of a soft baby powder floral scent.
    I can definitely smell my DS-70 and my multiflora (Cyrtoceras floribundum) smells at different times of the day but you have to go right up to the flowers.

Mike

• klyde
    12 years ago

Oooooh I find that really lovely. Nice growing girl.

Kelly V

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Very nice and with only one cutting.
    I hope to get this one this year.

Cindy

• peanut01
    12 years ago

I like this one. Thanks for sharing. I will add this one to my list too.

-David

• Denise
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's color is fairly true to the photo - a very pale yellow. It's too bad we can't capture fragrance and share it!

Ok, Mike, at least now I know the lady in my plant club isn't losing it! I had never heard anyone comment about a fragrance with multiflora, and she's very elderly, so I thought maybe it was "wishful thinking" playing tricks with her mind!

I can never resist the long thin-leaved species, and shepherdii is probably my favorite because it has the thinnest leaves. Also blooming right now (speaking of narrow long leaves) is Dischidiopsis parasitica...

This is actually last year's bloom, because it's SO hard to get a good photo of Dischidia's tiny flowers - I took 5 photos and none of them came out worth sharing! I must have been more steady or patient last year!

Denise in Omaha

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Denise I'm so excited to smell longifolia someday. I've resented my longifolia for a while now because it's about 2 years old and the same puny size as it grows a leaf and loses a leaf and grows a leaf and loses a leaf. But, I repotted it in coir yesterday and the leaves are just sooooooo pretty I forgave it. Maybe it will improve and I won't know whether it's b/c of the new medium or b/c I've quit stunting its growth with my negative vibes.

I couldn't believe you when you said multiflora/javanica has a nice smell, but luckily mine was blooming at the time, so I stuck my nose in there and... nothing. So, I REALLY stuck my nose in there and by the time I was practically inhaling the bloom in a most unbecoming manner, I caught the scent. And it is very pretty - perfumey.

LOVE the D. parasitica blooms! I like the long thin leaves, too and I can't wait to see this particular plant in person.

• rennfl
    12 years ago

wow, it's beautiful. I'm going to have to add this one to my wishlist.

I also have a strong sense of smell, which can be a good thing when it comes to flowers, and a not so good thing when it come to other scents. lol

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz