Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haxuan

Yoho... my Meliflua is reblooming

haxuan
14 years ago

No, not quite re-blooming yet but it is producing a peduncle. Look!

I have been growing this plant in a hanging pot and trained its vines to grow around the hangers. It has never re-bloomed for me after the initial blooms from the vendor.

Recently, I re-planted it in a bigger pot and trained the vine to grow up onto an arbor. And boy, does it climb! Just after a couple of months and now I have this one peduncle.

I guess Meliflua must climb up to blooms. Did any of you have similar experience with Meliflua?

Xuan

Comments (19)

• suetran1
    14 years ago

Hi Xuan, what a reward!! sometime change can help.
    I have 1 big Meliflua too, in hanging like you did before.
    I don't have flower yet, I will try to let it grow on support.
    This plant is so robust, take so much place in my GH.
    sue

• cpawl
    14 years ago

Hi
    I also have this hoya and its large but no blooms yet.Maybe I will have change how its growing if I can but not sure if that's possible.
    Show photos when they are open.

Cindy

• tishfromwis
    14 years ago

Hi Haxuan!!!

I'm so glad you posted pictures of your hoya. I just got this one a month or so ago and I got it for the flowers, so I'm really excited to see yours. Congratulations!!!

~Tish~

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

I struggled with this Hoya for years but after two repots and a new potting mix I have found what makes it happy. I find that this is one of the best climbers I have because it twines so well around a support. I am a little worried about what to do when it needs to be looped around the trellis because the stems are so thick and I can see it taking up lots of space but for now I am just happy that it is finally doing well.

Congratulations on the flower buds Xuan!

Mike

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Xuan, how pretty! I have one that might be a cross? Meliflua
    x Fraterna? I'm not sure I can't keep up with all the different ones out there...lol

Xuan, can you post a picture of the leaves so I can compare it to mine? I received the cutting as H. fraterna but the leaves are "not" that large and was told it wasn't that. Thanks!

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Can't wait to see the flowers!

Jan

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Pug Hoya meliflua and Hoya meliflua subspecies fraterna are the same species just one has larger leaves so you would just make the tag out as Hoya meliflua. Hoya fraterna is often written on tags but the real Hoya fraterna is a thin leaved species with fuzzy reflexed flowers.

Mike

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Thanks Mike, you always have the answer...appreciate it!
    I guess I should tag it as H.meliflua. I wish mine would bloom. I just love the blooms on these species.

• Denise
    14 years ago

Congrats Xuan! Meliflua is one of my favorites for its flowers. I only got one flower cluster last year, but it was so impressive! I can't wait to see photos of yours.

Denise in Omaha

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, folks, for your interest.

What I really wanted to share was the climbing habit of this plant and perhaps the relationship between this habit and bloom production.

Actually I have two of them, one in Dalat and this one in the photo is in Saigon. The one in Dalat was growing and growing and growing for about 5 years now... but never bloomed, even once! I hope I know what to do with it after I have found out about this one in Saigon.

I will surely post photos of the blooms on this plant when the buds open.

Nancy, I will take photo of the leaf for you tomorrow (my time). It's dark now.

Xuan

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nancy, here's a photo of the leaf on my plant for you.

Xuan

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Thanks Xuan, some of my leaves looks similar. I have so many different size leaves on this hoya,lol...

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Pug do you think that your plant may have been misidentified? I wonder if it is Hoya excavata or diversofolia? I can't remember if we discussed your plant before or not.

Mike

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Hey Mike, its def. NOT Diversifolia, I have that one from Gardino's...the leaves on those are different and has some splotches/specks. Mine was from a cutting that came from a University Plant sale that's locally grown. I'm pretty sure it is some type of Meliflua ssp fraterna or in that family.

I posted this picture before...this might jog your memory.
    {{gwi:942568}}

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Pug that looks like plain old Hoya meliflua to me, the ssp fraterna has long strap shaped leaves. The largest leaves on my Hoya meliflua are 5"x2" and the smaller ones are 4"x1.25" but from what I read Hoya meliflua ssp fraterna has leaves that are up to 12"x5" so they are dramatically larger than the plain meliflua.

Mike

• patrick51
    13 years ago

Pug...Mike's right...the leaves on my H. meliflua ssp fraterna, though not 12 inches, are 8-9 inches long, and look narrower than those on your lovely plant. My leaves will hopefully be longer when it grows up! Fondly, Patrick

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Thanks Mike and Patrick!! I guess my hoya will get a new label then...H. meliflua it is. Appreciate it.

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

So, Pug . . .
    How many H. meliflua do you have, now?! hahaha Your plant is lovely. Of course, ALL your plants are lovely!!!!

Xuan,
    Congrats on the new buds! Beautiful!!!!

Carolyn

• haxuan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just found one more peduncle on this Meliflua (?) of mine! So much the better... yahooooo!

Can't wait for the buds to open.

Xuan

Sponsored