Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hoya Monette

Posted by cwcervantes 9A (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 10, 12 at 9:49

Hello!
I've had a Hoya 'Monette' for over a year now and it has done nothing!
It's been kept side-by-side with a Hoya ciliata which has grown quite a bit.
So, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Anyone growing this hoya and have tips on its culture? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoya Monette

I have not grown this Eriostemma hybrid so I have no first hand experience. Some Hoyas just take a long time to start growing.
Does the cutting still look healthy? Most growers add a Tsp of dolomitic Lime to the potting mix (4-6" pot) for Eriostemmas. If the pH of the potting mix is not quite right for the plant it may be causing problems, that's just a stab in the dark.

How often are you watering and how much light are the plants getting?

Mike

o
RE: Hoya Monette

Sorry, I don't grow this one, but reading up on it, no one mentions it being a particularly troublesome Eriostemma. Which makes me wonder whether it's not Monette per say, but your start of it.

Sometimes I start a cutting or receive a plant and it just inexplicably takes a super long time to really take off. If it were mine, I might consider taking a small cutting off the top and starting it next to the first. It's a bit drastic to restart the whole plant, but if your new baby took off, you'd know the main plant was just one of those fussy ones and you could give it its time. Maybe the hormones from the new rooted cutting would even stoke its fires.

I really disliked nicholsoniae for the longest time because my cutting did this, and then one day, maybe after a year and a half or so, it just started growing and now it has practically caught up with its peers.

Well, anyway, that's just a thought. Don't take it as law or anything. :P Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here