Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mooner_gw

no flowers

mooner
12 years ago

Hi all, was wondering if you could help me. I have a hoya that I have had for years and years. It has never flowered for me and I was wondering what I a doing wrong. I really don't know what to tell you. Do they like to be pot bound. I transplanted mine to the next size pot last year. I took some cuttings off for my girlfriend and two years later, she sends me pictures of flowers on hers.....augh.....It is a beautiful healthy plant, just will not flower......

any help you can give me would be appreciated. I also put it outside on my patio in the summer. no full sun, just outside.

when we go away for the winter. I have it watered twice a month and the heat is turned down to 55. Should I be taking in to a friend to be in a warmer place? oh so many questions......thanks again. love looking at all the pics on this web site.

Jo

Comments (6)

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Hi Jo,

Welcome to the forum! Hoyas do like to be potbound in order for them to bloom (I have yet to see some plants bloom for me too). Have you ever fed your plant? I personally use a tomato fertilizer on my plants. However, they are "light" feeders so go easy on it. I would say in the growing season, fertilize about once a month but some of us give our plants a weak feeding year round. I'm sure the others will chime in with their sound advice! It's helped me since I first came here!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Jo do you know what Hoya you have? If you have the common Hoya carnosa your care sounds about right as they do like to have a cool winter. For carnosa watering should be done as the potting mix begins to dry vs on a time based schedule but as long as your plant seems happy don't change that. Can you tell us what size pot you are using as well.

One of the most important factors in getting a Hoya to bloom is light and different Hoyas like different amounts of light. Can you describe the colour of your plants leaves, is it a light or medium grassy green or dark green?

Mike

• mooner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hi Mike, I see you are from London, Ontario, small world, I lived there all my life until the past three years and we have retired to Grand Bend......

I will take and post some pictures of the plant tonight and hopefully that will answer your questions.....

thanks for your help......

Jo

• mooner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sorry it took so long, here are pics of my hoya. It is such a beautiful healthy plant, but alas no flowers.....

hope the pictures work, been a long time since I posted a picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Your plant does look very healthy although I am not sure what species it is. It is definitely from the section Hoya and my guesses are Hoya carnosa or pubicalyx but it's hard to tell because leaves that develop under shady conditions make it harder to ID. The base of the leaf where the leaf blade meets the petiole looks too elongated to be carnosa so I am leaning towards Hoya pubicalyx. Anyone else care to help with the ID?

What exposure is the window where the plant is? To get the most blooms I would suggest a slightly shaded South window or even an East or West window. When you pot it outside probably the best situation would be in the dappled shade of a tree. Right now the leaves look a little dark for the plant to be getting bright light so I think a slight increase in light should improve the chances of seeing flowers. Both Hoya carnosa and pubicalyx will be fine to grow with the cool winter temperatures you described so I think adjusting the light is all you really need to do.

Do you every trim the new growths? Sometimes people trim the long bare vines but this is where flower peduncles develop so those bare vines should be left to grow and fill in with leaves.

I have been in London for 16 years now but I grew up in Southern Bruce County. It must be nice living near the lake.

Mike

• mooner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hi me again....to answer your question, living at the Bend is wonderful. we are retired, so we get to go south, so we are here for all the good stuff.....
    now, my hoya sits in my living room window and has late afternoon sun and it faces a south window. The window also has an awning over it, so it doesn't get sun for for a long time. I have never cut the long new shoots off, but wondered if a good hair cut might do it well. When I put it outside in the summer it goes on our back porch, under the roof, so is never in the full sun. thanks for the advice. what I may do is move it to another window and see how it does.