Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denise_gw

Kudos to Gardino's!

Denise
11 years ago

I got some Hoyas from Gardino's this week and wanted to "toot their horn." Wow, I'd forgotten what BIG, beautifully grown plants they have! (It's my first order from a vendor in 2 years...) I only got 4 this time.

Hoya camphorfolia - I had one from CBFM a few years ago that was more rooting cuttings than an established plant. I eventually lost it and have wanted to replace it since...

Hoya finlaysonii - I got their fin 'Rippled Leaf' a couple years ago and love it. And I got a cutting of regular fin in a trade last year. It rooted and looks great, but I wanted to "beef it up" and figured I'd be putting it in with the new one. Much to my surprise, the clones are VERY different, and the Gardino's plant is so big, the cutting would be lost in there anyway. In fact, when I got done untwining it, the longest vine was almost 4' long!

Hoya obscura aff. 'Philip' is the one that gets nice red tones in sun. I had that clone several years ago, lost it, and the one I replaced it with doesn't pick up the red tones. I got a cutting of it last fall and lost it, so I was pleased to find it offered at Gardino's...

And Hoya memoria - I got a cutting of this last year from GG and I fell in love with the pretty leaves, so went for a big one...

(This is actually two plants - they were out of one that I wanted and decided to get two of these since I knew it's a small-growing Hoya...)

Anyway, I'm very pleased and excited to get some nice-sized plants after such a long time!

Denise in Omaha

Comments (16)

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Wow Denise, Those look GREAT!! SUPER Healthy and just beautiful!! I DO love Gardino's and they really do deserve the compliments...they have awesome plants!!

Congrats on your new Hoyas...good luck with all of them! I'm very excited for you!!

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Nice haul, Denise. :) I'm not surprised your finlaysonii's ended up being quite distinct. This seems to be a species with a ton of range. Camphorifolia is one that hasn't been mentioned in a while, but I agree it's a very lovely plant. Really great choices. Anything else on your check list this year?

• scsva
    11 years ago

I recently received an order from them as well and will definitely order again.

I agree with GG, nice haul!

Susan

• Denise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all for sharing in my excitement. GG, if there's a Liddle order later, I may try to participate. Our financial woes have improved, thankfully, but my space issues haven't. But at least I can afford to take care of the ones I have now in the way I prefer now. Specifically, using VF-11 as a water-in AND a foliar feed. The last 18 months or so, I've only used it as a foliar feed to make it stretch further and used standard fertilizers for watering.

Denise in Omaha

• scsva
    11 years ago

Hey Denise..found your blogs by accident and really enjoyed them.

Susan

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Those are beautiful plants Denise. Hoya memoria is such a great plant, love that one. I find that my memoria reminds me of a much smaller/daintier and better behaved version of Hoya pubicalyx, a pendant growing one of course.

Mike

• klyde
    11 years ago

Oooo very nice plants.

I'd sure love to read your blog Denise :) (???)

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Succulent Ramblings

I enjoy it too :)

• golden_ca_2000
    11 years ago

Definitely a lovely selection you have there Denise!

• Denise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the kind words, Susan (and GG). I do tend to ramble, thus my title...

I'm anxious for the memoria to grow for me, Mike. I'm intrigued by your description of it! I assume you mean 'Pink Silver' and its pretty flecking? I don't get much silver on my other pubicalyx cultivars, though I've seen photos of some 'RHP' clones with quite a bit. The photo of the flower on Hoyor.net looks delicious!

Denise in Omaha

Here is a link that might be useful: Memoria flower on Hoyor.net

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

I have always liked this photo of Hoya memoria. If you click the flower icon there are also some fantastic photos of the flowers and various floral parts.
    Denise it is pubicalyx 'Pink Silver' that I was thinking of.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Swedish Hoya Society

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Is this Torill related to H. nyhussiae?

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Nvm.

Has anyone heard from TG lately? Is he traveling atm?

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Yes GG Hoya nyhussiae was named after Torill Nyhuss, I believe she is the current president of the Swedish Hoya Society and she also participates in collecting trips etc.

Mike

• Denise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike,

That's a great link with some fantastic photos. I was a little disappointed that it doesn't list micrantha. I can't seem to find a site with photos of the flowers on micrantha. With my old eyes, it's hard to see the detail of flowers, especially the tiny ones, and since my micrantha has finally bloomed, I was hoping to find enlarged details of it's flowers somewhere...

Denise in Omaha

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

I think what you're looking for is what you'd find on songkranupa's site

But Apodagis has a nice comparison photo on its aff. micrantha page.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm