Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

Brought to you by the letter L

greedygh0st
12 years ago

A few days ago I snapped a photo of some tumbled buds, intending to post about the water torture that is my relationship with lasiantha. Which lately has been forming buds over and over and over and over and over again just to drop them.

When I was a kid we had a cockatiel named Thelma Poo who brooded moodily over her periodic batches of unfertilized eggs. And this felt a bit like that.

But I guess I gave up too soon because this morning, lo and behold, there was a single fuzzy little chick waiting for me. Maybe the three other umbels waiting in the wings will give me... idk... 2? blossoms? Reach for the stars, man!

So, everyone hang in there. Fighting!!

Comments (11)

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

We should organize a play date for our Hoya lasiantha plants. My plant dropped 80% of its leaves last fall and yours can't seem to figure out that if it's already spent that much time maturing buds that another couple of days won't hurt!
    Maybe they will grow out of this sensitive phase. I shudder to think how beautiful my plant was before I decided to move it to another room, a move it clearly did not enjoy.

Mike

• Aggie2
    12 years ago

Congrats GG! I guess Hoyas can test our patience;)
    Such a great bloom, love the color!

• cpawl
    12 years ago

GG, one is better than none LOL.I bet as soon as summer comes and your plant gets more light she will hold all her blooms.For some reason I was thinking this plant did not need a tone of light.But my plant stopped budding up until I moved her very close to the light,now she has a bunch of flowers.

Mike, I hope your plant regains her beauty when she gets growing again for you.

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lol. Thanks guys. Try not to hurt your hands from applauding too long, but the other bud opened today so now there are TWO. ;)

Exactly, Cindy! xD Can't miss enjoying what you have while groaning about what you don't have. Perhaps you're right about the light. It bloomed well for several months midwinter, but maybe the light is entering differently now. I'm hoping that since it liked this spot once, it will one day like it again. I do think that it does well in the cold. This is a VERY drafty window and it gets so cold in this corner of the office I use a space heater all winter (which is shut off at night, of course, leaving lasiantha to fend for itself). And yet, it bloomed and grew happily throughout the coldest points of the winter.

Of course, now you've made me totally paranoid, Mike, with your dramatic story. So, what did you end up doing? Did you leave the plant to finish its adjustment or move it back? I do remember some lovely full view photos you took of your plant in the past.

I'm afraid if we set up a play date, they'd both learn each other's bad habits. Like dogs that mimic obnoxious peer behavior after you leave them at a kennel. >:P

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Congrats GG...she is just beautiful! So happy you didn't give up on it. Worth all the blasting of the other ones I'm sure :o)

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Pug. ^_^

I just realized I misremembered what you said, Cindy. Yeah, I think I read at some point that they were okay in low light too. Hence my placement of mine in a north facing window. Which it does seem to flourish in aside from that whole period of bud dropping. But, these windows, being so tall and high, get a lot of light for north windows. I think sometimes I get a little off track when I read that a Hoya grows in a shadier location. Because really... none of them are going to be Hostas, man!

Silly ghost. /shakes head.

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, the next batch of buds opened over the weekend in full force, so I guess Cindy was right and they were just waiting for Mother Nature, (not Mother GG) to provide what they wanted.

I'm going to put this episode of plant problems in the "sometimes it's not your fault" column.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Congratulations GG! You sure didn't have to wait long, that's what is so great about Hoya lasiantha. The orange colour of those blooms is just so vibrant. I really like everything about this plant. The strange fuzzy horse molar appearance of the blooms is, at least for me, impossible not to love.

Mike

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Way to go GG, got to love those orange flowers.

• Laura_Carnosa
    12 years ago

Lovely. Simply chic(k)? Lol. Good job!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Its GORGEOUS :o)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus