Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

Music for Hoyas

greedygh0st
12 years ago

I was entertained to see that S. Carey (drummer/vocalist for Bon Iver) is giving away a track from his EP "Hoyas" today. Can't imagine that he's a secret grower of tropical plants, but his previous release was called "All We Grow" and was musing on you know, the good old black soil of the midwest. ^_~ If you like indie, you should totally download it, because it's really nice.

So, yeah I think this is what my Hoyas will be listening to for a while. What are your plants listening to?

Comments (20)

• scsva
    12 years ago

Definitely all Paul Baker's for relaxation, meditation etc; some Indian Spirit music.

S

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

That's a great song GG, will have to check out the album.

Lately I have been listening to quite a lot of Radiohead (king of Limbs and best of albums), a few songs from The Peoples Key by Bright Eyes, Owen Pallett/Final Fantasy, a very talented artist from Toronto who does some pretty cool looping effects with his violin and a bunch of effects petals. Your Heat's a Mess remix album buy Gotye has also been a favorite.

Mike

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Mine are listening to Boards of Canada ;o)

• penfold2
    12 years ago

My plants love Boards of Canada!

I recently got a wireless internet radio for my greenhouse, and it is one of the best additions I've ever made. It's so much better than working in silence.

-Chris

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

If you can try and find the old BOC Maxima album by Boards of Canada you will love it. I also really love The Campfire Headphase.

Mike

• penfold2
    12 years ago

At risk of turning this into a BoC thread:

I think Maxima may be the only album I don't have. I'll track it down soon.

Their smaller, lesser known releases are also great. In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country, Unreleased Tracks, even the Old Tunes albums are good if a bit more experimental.

Boards of Canada - Midas Touch remix

In non-BoC news, I just listened to Ishq - Orchid while watering plants this morning. It had a "jungley" vibe that I'm sure the plants appreciated. Kind of similar to The Future Sound of London - Lifeforms, but more ambient.

-Chris

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

That's quite unlike any other BoC track I have ever heard. The 80's suits are hilarious.
    I do love some good Drum and Bass as well, London Electricity or good liquid Drum and Bass.

Mike

• amber_m
    11 years ago

i just found this thread and think its a fun topic.... my musical interests change by the day, today is a rainy quiet kind of day so my hoyas and I will be listening to some Sunny Day Real Estate, either the album Diary or The Rising Tide (probably more of The Rising Tide), deadboy and the elephantmen, Agents of Oblivion (both deadboy and agents have Dax Riggs, amazing vocalist) and maybe some doom metal or stoner rock (nebula, sleep, neurosis, bogzilla, high on fire, mastodon, ect.) and mike i too have been listening to a lot of Radiohead recently, mainly The Bends and OK Computer. im sure my musical tastes will change tomorrow which is supposed to be nicer. a few days ago all i was listening to was punk and ska... (The Toasters, Social Distortion, The Pietasters, The Aggrolites, Rancid, ect ect.) this would be a really fun thread to keep going... i was just reading through old threads for something to do and found this! and sorry for writing more than one band... im kind of a music nerd and listen to music like all day long...

• amber_m
    11 years ago

LOL, SORRY TO ALREADY ADD MORE TO THIS, I JUST FOUND OUT THAT ONE OF MY FAV BANDS ARE PUTTING OUT A NEW RECORD TO COME OUT IN SEPTEMBER!!!! SO EXCITED!!! so for the rest of the day ill be listening to numerous Dinosaur Jr. albums!

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Haha. I personally do not mind this thread resurrection. It's not so old.

I have an embarrassingly sentimental preference for Diary. In fact, it's the only cassette tape I ever kept past the point of owning a cassette tape player. But I am convinced my Hoyas prefer The Promise Ring, particularly Boys & Girls. They're upbeat like that.

Most of them... although maybe, come to think of it, I should put the moody Hoyas in a different room and give them something more appropriate to their planty mental state. Like, I don't know... The Faint and Charlotte Gainsbourg or something. Doesn't that seem like something plants you had to re-root would like to brood over, as they ponder the fact that they never seem to move forward and are now having to start their root systems from scratch, because of factors beyond their control.

Ska and punk lol. See, those two genres are why no one I went to high school with knows how to dance at a wedding.

• amber_m
    11 years ago

lol i personally think that any plant thats having a rough time should be stuck in a room with The Cure playing... HAHA actually typing that out just made me literally lol

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Do you think that would work? Subjecting fussy Hoyas that seem to be struggling to a good long dose of The Smiths. LOL
    I like moody music but after a while it starts to bring me down. I love the National's sound but never listen to them anymore because all their songs are so depressing.

I've been listening to Queens of the Stone Age quite a bit lately, the El Vulgaris album. Not sure how the Hoyas feel about it but at least it's upbeat.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Queens of the Stone Age

• amber_m
    11 years ago

ohhh i LOVE queens of the stonage... have you heard Eagles of Death Metal? Josh Homme the singer for queens is also in it, hes the drummer... awesome band that you cant help but shake your a** too, lol. my favorite album eagles of death metal did was 'Peace, Love, Death Metal' and even though the name of the band says it... they are nowhere near death metal... actually they arent too far from queens... youtube them, they are so much fun!

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Haha. I have to limit my intake of moody music, too. Maybe the correct procedure is to make a tracklist that starts with The Smiths and works its way up to The Clash? I think QSA would be somewhere in the middle...

• lovinmyblooms
    11 years ago

Greedyghost - I love your taste in music! You should check out a band called Copeland if you haven't already heard them, I'm sure you would like them if you like alot of Indie. The Whitest Boy Alive is an awesome band as well, not too moody and a perfect choice to play for Hoyas IMHO ;)

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol Thanks, LMB. Oh, indie. It's like once upon a time I was simply listening to random bands and then I took one step and one more and then one more and now I find myself living in the middle of the indie forest. I am acquainted with Copeland - mmmm. I don't think I was consciously familiar with The Whitest Boy Alive, but they're super adorable. My Hoyas thank you for the heads up lol.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

You know I can't help but think about Jagadish Chandra Bose and his research. Plants were subjected to music and it was found that certain music caused the plants to grow poorly while other music actually increased growth. If you watch The Secret Life of Plants on Youtube you can learn a little about Mr. Bose, what an incredible man!
    The music that was found to be most beneficial for plant growth was Indian devotional music. They actually erected speakers and subjected entire fields of plants to music. I swear if I had a greenhouse I would be pumping Indian devotional music through the speakers. I wonder what deity's devotional songs would be most appropriate for plants?

Ok off to delve deeper into the Indie realm. The older I get the less new music I listen to.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Jagadish Chandra Bose

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol Well of course that pronouncement makes me want to start defining and challenging what exactly those research findings tell us.

Do all plants like the same music?

Did the researchers expose the plants to all possible music genres? I'm pretty sure indie music wasn't around back then!

Do plants respond to our personal preferences for music? Maybe there is an interaction going on. I have to believe that if I am bouncing around the room happily, my plants get a kick out of that. But do they get enough of a kick out of it to offset their deep yearning for Indian devotional music?

Does the positive reaction, on the part of the plants, to the Indian devotional music stay constant over a long period, or is possible that it is an initial enthusiasm that gradually fades after, say, 1 year of Mike blasting Indian devotional music in his greenhouse?

How do they feel about other types of devotional music? Say, Baptist Choirs?

As for you, and thus me (since we're the same age >_>) being older... I think people simply go through phases. Sometimes you're questing after new music, and sometimes you're relishing albums you haven't listened to in a long time. It's easier than ever for people to be exposed to new, good music, and I think that will mediate the music/age relationship.

• amber_m
    11 years ago

tonight since the weather is nice, my husband and i will be sitting out with all of my plants in the sun room... we will be brinking beer and listening probably to Ray Charles as the sun starts to set and we have out tiny coal miners lights on.... such a wonderful relaxing atmosphere...

• amber_m
    11 years ago

oh mike, i do have the secret life of plants on dvd... ive only been able to start watching it before i get interupted by the little ones... ill have to make a point to watch it next time they are asleep... usually i have no problem watching nature documentaries with my son because he is really into animals and has grown up watching anything with David Attenborough narraring it... but i cant really get him into plants unless its the carnivorous plants (those he is REALLY into) i feel i really should buy him a venus fly trap or something simelar that can be all his own.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm
More Discussions