Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Philippine Hoya species

mdahms1979
13 years ago

I was hoping to find a photo of Hoya lucardenasiana's blooms somewhere online and I came across this website of Philippine plants. I found the photo I was looking for as well as many other beautiful Hoya photos. Check out the Hoya pubicalax 'Black Dragon' on page 16 of the Hoya photos.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Forest Treasures Philippine Plants

Comments (12)

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Cool link Mike...eye candy! Thanks for posting!

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had to restrain myself from going on a virtual hunt for that Hoya pubicalax 'Black Dragon', that has to be the coolest looking Hoya pubilax found so far.

Mike

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Wow! Black Dragon is beautiful! Mike, are you still practicing restraint? If not, let us know where you find it!

Kelly

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You know I did a quick search and came up with absolutely no hits for Hoya pubicalax 'Black Dragon'. The Forest Treasures site did mention that they are selling some of their plants so there is the possibility that they can offer cuttings. I am assuming that the owner or one of his friends was the one who collected the plant so it may be fairly new to cultivation.

Mike

• geosdee
    13 years ago

Oh my Mike you don't play fair. I just sent him a message about purchasing. Unlike you, I have no restraint. LOL

Dee

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Apparently when you spell pubicalyx correctly you can find more information, no wonder I did not find anything. LOL
    I noticed on Hoyor.net that there is mention of Hoya pubicalyx "Philippine Black' as well.

Dee you will have to let us know what you find out about this plant, would be nice to be able to spread this variety of Hoya pubicalyx around North America as well.

Mike

• geosdee
    13 years ago

Hey Mike I got a reply from Forest Treasures. Here is his reply:

Thank you for visiting my website, I hope you enjoyed browsing our Philippine native plants.

Yes, we do sell most of our plants including hoyas but only those that are already propagated or have acquired the desired numbers before we release them into the market.

Since, we started only as a hobby for many years now collecting plants in our mountain forest looking for plants that are rare and exotic we finally decided to commercialized and frankly saying we are still new in business and if ever you'll be our 1st customer from the United States.

I am not aware of the quarantine procedures or laws when it comes to exporting plants to your country but if you can advice us about procedures that would be most welcome. In our side we need your importation permit issued by your USDA for us to process or facilitate the necessary requirements such as permits or other documents needed in your country.

Please let us know your choice and number of hoyas you wish to purchase from us, so we can give you our quotation including freight and our local handling fees.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Best regards and God bless!
    George

I think it might be worth looking into, what do you think?

Dee

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

Oh my!!!
    I want that one.
    Jan

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As far as foreign orders go it is only cost effective to order many plants or cuttings and group orders are the best way to accomplish that. The import permit is $35 Canadian if I remember correctly and and phytosanitary certificate is usually between $50 and $100 and then there is shipping, not sure of the American costs. It's hard to say how it would go because the Philippines is far away and if you have ever ordered from the Liddle's nursery in Australia you will know that sometimes you loose some of the more delicate plants.
    It would be great to be able to get that pubicalyx variety and I think that if not this year maybe a group order in the future would be a possibility. Too bad we can't track down one of these plants closer to home. I for one still have two foreign group orders left to go this year and that's it for me.

Mike

• c0ntrite
    13 years ago

Another hoya pubicalyx similar to the black dragon with the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: hoya pubicalyx

• cssoriano
    10 years ago

Hi everybody. I am from the Philippines. I usually come and go home to the Philippines being a US retiree. So I could help you bring the Hoya Pubicalyx you want as a group if you get the corresponding permit necessary so I will not get into trouble with custom/quarantine. Otherwise they will confiscate it. Make sure have Mr. George mendoza know about this. I stay in California, San Diego county.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz