Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Another H. pachyclada

puglvr1
13 years ago

I didn't want to Hi-jack Jan's thread, so I decided to post a separate thread. My rooted cutting of pachyclada is blooming for the very first time. I've had this cutting since June of last year, so I'm pretty excited its blooming already, considering its still pretty small. This is a neat hoya.

I will have to smell it tonight to see if it has any scent?

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

Congrats!! looks beautiful!

• tishfromwis
    13 years ago

That is just lovely Pug!!! And quick!!! Congratulations!!! Can't wait to hear what it smells like. Mine just started taking off about two months ago (max). Wasn't expecting it to bloom this year, but it just might seeing that yours has bloomed from a rooted cutting of less than a year old. I did get mine from Gardino's as a small plant, so that may be favorable as well. I know Florida weather is hoya heaven, I mean, just look at the gorgeous red coloring of your hoya leaves!!! Maybe all of us hoya lovers will migrate to Florida when we retire ;)

~Tish~

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jan and Tish!

Tish, I was very surprised mine bloom so quickly too...I bet yours will bloom this year. Thanks for the nice comments on my hoyas. We have plenty of room and lots of homes for sale, we would love for you guys to come on down. Florida can always use more hoya lovers,lol...

As far as scent goes (my allergies are acting up) I had to put my nose right up to it. It has a nice fragrance that I can't quite describe, but very pleasant...mild not over powering. I will see early morning if its any stronger?

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My moteskei opened today...I was a little disappointed in the color. I was really hoping it was going to be white like the pictures I've seen here and on the other hoya sights. Even the person I received these cuttings from had white blooms on the mother plant...very strange. I wonder why mine is pink? This also happened to me on my H. obovata...others blooms white but mine was pink. I'm sure it has something to do with my growing conditions...but don't know what it could be?

Hoya moteskei...Very first buds for me.

Also I read that this one is suppose to smell like chocolate...I def. didn't that scent when I smelled it. Its got a very nice clean fragrance but to me def. not chocolate, I should know I'm a chocoholic,lol..I guess it goes to show that smell is subjective.

• suetran1
    13 years ago

Did you grow them in the house with cool temperature?
    Try it with warmer temperature.
    I have the same experience with other plant, the color get darker with cooler temperature.
    Your plants so beautiful.
    sue

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Those Hoya pachyclada blooms look like they were carved from ivory, plain in colour but still very beautiful.
    I know that bright sunlight can cause some flower buds to get a pinkish blush. I have see what Sue is describing with some of my orchids, if my Brassavola cucullata blooms when it is cool it has beautiful colours accenting the flowers but when it's warm it is plain white.

Mike

• sberg
    13 years ago

Wow! If my plant looked like that I wouldn't care what color it was or what it smelled like!! It's gorgeous...and I agree that scent is subjective...my "fuzzy" carnosa recently bloomed and I thought it smelled like spiced banana..yummy, but definitely not chocolate...

SR

• tishfromwis
    13 years ago

So beautiful Pug!!! Your going to have one peduncle of flowers bloom after the other!!! Congrats!!!

~Tish~

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much!

Sue, I grow this one inside in my FL room...our winter was very cold and that room is colder than the rest of the house, but during the day it gets very warm(south) windows.

Mike, since its on the south window, it did get direct sun a few hours a day...its growing appx. a few inches from the window.

Sberg, thank you...I'm really not complaining, lol...just a little disappointed because I've never had a big white bloom on any hoyas before and always wanted to see it in person. It looks so much like my KP and KQ blooms, I was hoping to see something a little different. But, still very happy to see the blooms for sure.

Tish, I guess its making up for it...I've been waiting for blooms for almost two years!

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Congrats, Pug!

I know how impatient it is waiting for blooms but both plants are beautiful! I have my motoskei in a hanging pot and it has peduncles but no signs of blooms. My Red Buttons is budding up, so I share your excitement! Your motoskei looks very happy!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

That is a gorgeous plant!! congrats on all your buds & flowers.

Jan

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Brad and Jan!

Brad, it is hard to be patient when you're waiting on something you really want,lol...Good luck with your blooming soon.

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Thank you, Pug!

Where did you get your motoskei? Gardino's?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, I got it on a trade from a nice member here...(few un-rooted) cuttings two years ago the end of May.

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions