Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hoyas outside - How much sun?

Posted by angeleyedcat PA 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 12:43

Hello,
I have several hoyas which have all been in a southeast window for the winter. Weather permitting, they will be going outside onto an east facing deck for the summer. One area of the deck gets dappled sun until 10am then full sun until 11:30am. The other area gets dappled sun until 10am then full sun until 12:30pm
After taking a little while to get them used to being outside and sun, would any of these hoyas prefer more sun or less sun or could they basically be put anywhere on this deck?
Hindu Rope
Carnosa
Fishtail
Lacunosa
DS70
Tsangii

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoyas outside - How much sun?

Hi, I'm not sure of an answer to your question because I have'nt been collecting Hoya's too long but I am curious to the answer. Also I would love to see a picture of your collection of hoya's as i too have the same ones, I think. Well, no, I don't have Lacunosa.Anyways, hope you can post a picture, Lori

o

Ds 70 can take more sun but you need to do it gradually, never put the hoyas in full sun, it will burn the hoyas badly. I put mine under the trees.
Hope this helps.

Jan

o

I wouldn't put any of them where they'll get mid day sun. It's pretty intense and they're likely to burn. And even if you can acclimate them over time to some full sun, the leaves tend to "wash out" to a yellow which isn't very attractive. Your best bet is to grow them in a shady spot, like under trees as Jan suggests. Understand that this is how they grow in the wild, so it's best to emulate that when you can.

Denise in Omaha

o

Thanks everyone for your help! I can't put them under a tree because we have way to many deer which would consider them a buffet :) I have a shade cloth area on the deck for a group of orchids that I put outside and will extend it to include the hoyas.

Sorry for the terrible pictures but they were taken in the early evening.
carnosa:
Photobucket
The hindu rope:
Photobucket
The rest of the hanging hoyas with orchids and an epiphyllum on the shelf:
Photobucket

o

I don't usually put any of my Hoyas outside but I have been putting my Hoya cummingiana outside on my south facing 14th story balcony where is gets full sun from morning until late afternoon with a slight reduction due to the upper balcony. I am sure that most Hoyas would burn but there are also many that have adapted to very bright light. Right now it is only reaching 18-20 degrees Celsius during the day so the sun is tolerable but in the summer when it is 30 degrees I will probably put my plant in a shadier spot.

As a general rule I would play it safe and go for the dappled shade or bright indirect light. Some leaves of my Hoya carnosa burned to a crisp in my unshaded south window last summer so I put up a sheer curtain to help shade some of my Hoyas and orchids.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here