Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rennfl

H. cembra question

rennfl
13 years ago

Hi, I have had a plant that I bought as H. odorata a few years ago. It grows very well, but even though it looks big enough to bloom, it doesn't. From internet searches I'm pretty sure it is H. cembra.

It seems to prefer being consistently moist, and I keep it that way, also the light it is in is high enough that the newest leaves are bronze, and turn slowly to a dark green as they mature. Also, I've grown it warm.

So, what does it need? Dry out once in a while? A cool down in fall/winter, more or less light?

What do you think?

TIA

Renee

Comments (16)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I got this one in my last Liddle order and it is doing very well. I lost my first cuttings after they rotted in the mail so I am happy that my current plant seems so happy.
    This one is from the Philippines but I am not sure of the habitat it comes from. I would assume this is a warm grower and that it does not need a cool down to bloom but hopefully with some more research we can figure out the details. The link below shows the publication this species was described in so it should not be too difficult to track down the collection data and other info. I would confine growing this one warm and moist because the Philippines do not experience the distinct dry season that places like Thailand do. My Philippine Dendrobiums all grow wet in the summer and then are allowed to just dry in the winter before they get more water so a slight drying is all I would aim for.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya cembrae on Growing Hoyas

• rennfl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Mike.

Since I've got it warm and moist, then I think I'm going to try to increase the light gradually. Will see if it helps.

Renee

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Seeing as your plant is showing bronze growth it may be happy with the light it is getting now but a slight increase sounds like a good enough idea. Can I ask how long the growths on your plant are? I have seen photos of plants blooming heavily with stems about two to three feet long. I think once this one starts blooming it really puts on a show and gets better each year.

Mike

• rennfl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike, They are about 2 - 2.5 ft tall now. So maybe I'm just being impatient?

I'm guessing it's a summer bloomer - based on no information though lol

So maybe I'll get something this summer.

Renee

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Is cembra not the same as odorata? If it is, I believe that odorata is supposed to be a fall/winter bloomer. And the peduncles do not stay after blooming, like nummularioides. That is what I've heard, anyway.

• patrick51
    13 years ago

Yes, Quinn is correct...it's correctly called H. cembra...according to Chris Burton, H. odorata is thought to be extinct. I've had my cembra for close to 3 years, in a south window, right against the glass and never a bloom....I think it needs to be 3-4 years old to bloom, and as Quinn stated, it's an autumn/winter bloomer. Best wishes on getting blooms, Renee! Fondly, Patrick

• rennfl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ok, If you are keeping yours up against a south window, then I'm definitely not giving mine enough light. Where it is at outside, it about equivalent to an east window.

I'll start moving it slowly into more light today.

And hopefully will see something this fall.

Renee

• rennfl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I must have just been impatient.

I did move it into a little more light after this thread, and it's got three sets of buds on it now.

I'll post pics after they open.

Renee

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

That's great. I have been checking mine for buds but no luck so far.

Mike

• rennfl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Finally getting around to posting the pictures. Only one set of buds made it to opening though. The other two dropped.

Renee

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Congratulations on the blooms. Those are some especially beautiful Hoya flowers. Is there a very short peduncle or do the flower pedicles sprout directly from the stem?
    What do you think of the flower's scent?

Still no sign of buds on my plant but it is not in an especially bright spot. I hope my plant blooms for me soon.

Mike

• rennfl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Mike. I'm not sure about where the pedicles directly came from. I didn't check it out at the time the flowers were in bloom and they are done and gone now.

Scent was nice, very sweet, but I had to get my nose up into them to smell it.

Renee

• Laura_Carnosa
    12 years ago

Simply lovely! I cannot believe I don't have this one!

• patrick51
    12 years ago

Congratulations, Renee...that's so awesome!! Just how much light did you provide? I have mine in a south window, it's 3 feet tall, over 3 years old, and has never formed a peduncle...but, I'm thrilled with your success!! Fondly, Patrick

• rennfl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys.

Patrick, it got direct morning sun over the summer until about 11am. Enough that new leaves were bronze.

Mine is about the same size as yours. I kept it warm, it came in to a heated patio when the nights started getting down in the 50s regularly.

I also keep it moist, watering it as it approaches dryness.

Renee

• patrick51
    12 years ago

Thanks, Renee. I'm wondering if perhaps the cooler temperatures (50's) triggered the buds to form. If so, then my sunroom is too warm. Today I added two additional H. cembrae to my pot...I'm hoping the crowded condition will help...I also decreased the thermostat to 64...but, that was due to the extremely high electric bill!! LOL Again, thanks so much! Fondly, Patrick

Sponsored