Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Buttons cutting has rooted!

Posted by tigerdawn 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 12:48

The cutting of Red Buttons that I got from Sue is showing new growth! Do I pot it in soil now or keep it in the sphagnum?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Buttons cutting has rooted!

I often just pot the moss up into a larger pot and fill around it with new potting mix. If you are afraid that the moss will hold too much moisture you can let the excess fall away and just keep what is attached to the roots.
Do you have a Hoya mix with bark or coconut husk chips you use or is your mix mainly soil and perlite or something similar?

Mike

o

I've been transitioning all my hoyas and other aroids to a mix of equal parts crushed granite, fine pine bark, pearlite, and regular potting soil. I haven't had any of them in the mix long enough to tell if they like it but based on what I've read, they should.

o

I have a few Hoyas in a mix that is very similar and they do well but I have to watch carefully or they dry right out. My Hoya loyceandrewsiana is in a mix like that and I can't tell you how many times it has dried out and the growing tip died back. The crushed granite/grit really seems to create fast drainage. I have to water at least twice a week when the weather is hot and sunny or the plants just don't grow.

Mike

o

Oh, is THAT what causes the growing tip to die? Well! Now I know I'm not watering enough. Thanks! I had no idea what was causing that. I will be very careful from now on.

o

It all depends on what Hoya it is but some don't like to dry out and they will let you know if they get too dry. Hoya loyceandrewsiana is a pretty succulent species but that does not seem to like to be constantly moist but mine at least does not like to dry out too much or for long either while it is in active growth.
Some Hoyas seem to grow OK but they will not flower if you keep them too dry while others will abort new leaves if they don't get watered often enough.

Mike

o

And all the pubicalyx cultivars I grow are real water guzzlers. Once they're happily rooted and growing, they grow FAST and dry out FAST. I got my 'Red Buttons' in 2007 and it's already in an 8" pot - I bet you're going to see a LOT of new growth this year!

Denise in Omaha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here