Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbmock

Hi from a new member

barbmock
12 years ago

Hi everyone, I am having so much fun reading and looking at your photos. You have me hooked already. I have had Hoya plants off and on for years, but never have seen so many varieties. I have already placed a small order with Joni. I will try to post some photos when they come in.

Barb

Comments (23)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Welcome, Barb. :) It's funny, I was just thinking about someone with your name I used to know, whose kids had the best B names.

Can't wait to see the photos when your plants arrive! Is there anything in your order you are particularly excited about?

• barbmock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's what I ordered.
    Hoya cv. Mathilde
    Hoya lacunosa 'Ruby Sue'
    Hoya heuschkeliana ssp. heuschkeliana
    I just don't know if I will have a favorite or not, but I think it will be fun to see the differences between them. What do you think about these choices?

• Denise
    12 years ago

Hi Barb, and welcome to the "crazy for Hoya" club. It sounds like you have an affinity for the smaller leaved Hoyas. You made some good choices in that vein. Hueschkeliana has such unique flowers. Do you know if it's the pink flowering or the yellow flowering? 'Mathilde' is a real beauty and an easy bloomer. And you can never go wrong with any of the lacunosa cultivars. It's one that blooms well and the fragrance will knock your socks off.

Happy Hoya growing!

Denise in Omaha

• barbmock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Denise,

Thanks for your reply. I have a kitchen window over the sink area that's prime real estate for growing things. I tried to choose some things that will fit in there. The light and humidity are pretty good, so I think they'll grow. I have a couple of hoyas already, Chelsea, and one of those common tri color carnosas.

Which varieties do you like? Btw, the one you asked about should have yellow flowers.

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Hi Barb, welcome to the forum! Congrats on your new plants! I have Ruby Sue and it's gorgeous even though it's only a cutting. I ordered lacunosa Royal Flush from Joni not too long ago and it should be here the beginning of the week. Your plants should fill your window nicely! :-) Denise is right about the lacunosa fragrance, it's totally out of this world!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• barbmock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Brad, This is a good time of year to greet some new plants going. I think I had one of those lacunosa plants a few years ago, it bloomed like crazy, the fragrance was a little too strong to keep it inside, it had to go outside when it bloomed.

• Aggie2
    12 years ago

Welcome Barb!
    I like and have all of the Hoyas you picked. Most of mine are small and pubescent, with just few exceptions. I got Mathilde from Joni late fall and it's growing first penducle already!
    Aggie

• barbmock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Aggie, This is a fun place to talk about plants. I can see it's easy to get into trouble too, and get overrun with them. I am amazed at the collections.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Welcome Barb. I also love the small growers and I know you will love the ones you got, especially Hoya Mathilde.

Mike

• barbmock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well they came today. A very cute and tiny group. I took a picture, but now I see that I can't paste it into my message.

All three are very well grown and have lots of leaves and are showing new growth. Love that little Mathilde!

• John.49
    12 years ago

Hey guys, I am also a new member. I retired and moved to Largo, FL. Bought my first Hoya a few weeks ago, and I am in love with these plants. I have gardened for many years. Love to read the info on hoyas. Any help you guys can give me with raising these lovely plants is appreciated. I have about six now and can't stop. Would love to know where the best places to order from on the net. I live not far from USF Botannical Gardens, so I plan to go. I am an experimenter, so I am already rooting some of my cuttings wish me luck. All of you have a great day.

• Denise
    12 years ago

John,

A good place to get some Hoyas is Gardino's Nursery. They have great plants. You've probably already found you can get some of the common ones at Lowe's & H.D.

Denise in Omaha

• Aggie2
    12 years ago

John,
    Another good place to get plants is SRQ hoyas, you may even try to set an appointment and visit Joni, or get them delivered very fast!
    Let us know if you have any luck with USF Botanical Gardens, I have seen in old threads info about plant store but links are dead, and I live way to far check it.
    Have fun with Hoya, you are in good place to get addicted!

Aggie :0)

• alba_gardener
    12 years ago

Welcome Barb and John to this really cool Hoya forum. You will definitely get some great advice on the care of your hoyas. I really enjoy this forum. We have nice friendly people here, ready to help a fellow Hoyan.
    Welcome!
    alba in Hawthorne,Ca

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Hi Barb and John!! Welcome...have fun with your new addiction!
    It really is a lot of fun to grow Hoyas. Enjoy your new plants.

Nancy

• barbmock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone,

I have been going back and reading thru the archives. Wow, what a lot of good info and pictures. I am afraid this will truly be addicting

John, you are living in the perfect spot to grow all kinds of tropicals. We lived in S. Fla. for a few years and I loved gardening there.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Hi Barb,

I think your choices are perfect! H. heuschkeliana is one of my earliest favorites and I still think everyone should have both pink and yellow varieties because they smell so good and bloom so often and are so easy to care for. If we were picking plants to become a living carpet and take over, it would be right up there on my list.

I haven't had Mathilde that long - I really put off obtaining it forever for some reason. But it is so cute that I feel stupid now. Grows super fast too.

H. lacunosa is another one where I just... want to collect them all. Very different from one another and universally well behaved. My favorite for the longest time was Sno Caps, but I'm really liking these hard green succulent ones like the Thai Clone and Langkawai recently. My Royal Flush is finally starting to be really colorful all the time. If you're checking the archives, you should do some searches for lacunosas (Whenever I write that name, I hear Hermione Granger saying "lacu-nooooo-sah" (nee leviosa) in my head) because there are some AMAZING photos from members of their giant plants.

I created a thread on how to post photos a while back. I kind of want to do a new one that's a bit clearer, but for now it works well enough. (Here it is).

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Hi Barb,

I think your choices are perfect! H. heuschkeliana is one of my earliest favorites and I still think everyone should have both pink and yellow varieties because they smell so good and bloom so often and are so easy to care for. If we were picking plants to become a living carpet and take over, it would be right up there on my list.

I haven't had Mathilde that long - I really put off obtaining it forever for some reason. But it is so cute that I feel stupid now. Grows super fast too.

H. lacunosa is another one where I just... want to collect them all. Very different from one another and universally well behaved. My favorite for the longest time was Sno Caps, but I'm really liking these hard green succulent ones like the Thai Clone and Langkawai recently. My Royal Flush is finally starting to be really colorful all the time. If you're checking the archives, you should do some searches for lacunosas (Whenever I write that name, I hear Hermione Granger saying "lacu-nooooo-sah" (nee leviosa) in my head) because there are some AMAZING photos from members of their giant plants.

I created a thread on how to post photos a while back. I kind of want to do a new one that's a bit clearer, but for now it works well enough. (Here it is).

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Oops. Sorry about the dang double post! >_>; with

As though my posts aren't long enough as it is without being doubled...

• barbmock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi greedyghost, I'm curious about your name. There must be a story behind it!

Thanks for the instruction for posting photos, I will try it out.
    And thanks for your comments. Every little bit of knowledge helps. I have been doing searchs on some of the plants I am interested in, and have found hours of entertainment going thru the posts. I just went thru the lacunusa today. What a great forum!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Barb,

The name comes from a Vietnamese trick to confirm a ghostly presence. In a relatively quiet area, you put a large coin on a piece of paper and trace a circle around it. Attracted to the coin, the greedy ghost will move it.

So, it has nothing to do with plants; I just relish humanity's rich heritage of customs and folklore. And I have a penchant for horror. ^_~

• barbmock
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Interesting, I was imagining that it had something to do with being a greedy hoya collector. Good story.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Haha. It did indeed become apt in that way. :P

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert