Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovingmy4babies

Where do you get your Hoyas?

lovingmy4babies
13 years ago

Hello! I've been lurking around the Hoya forum for several days now. I'm just getting into Hoyas(again, I had some almost 2 years ago, but I couldn't really 'get into them'lol), and I've already got what can be picked up at the local big box stores. There are really no nurseries here that do Hoyas, and I just don't know who to trust online. Do any of you order from online greenhouses? Or Ebay? What are some reputable ones that don't charge an arm and a leg, plus shipping? lol

Comments (11)

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Are you interested in cuttings at all or just rooted plants?

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Hi,

I only order online, and I trust Aleya Garden, SRQ Hoyas, Paul Shirley, now I'm trying a new seller epiphytica.

Good luck for you

Mitzi

• lovingmy4babies
    Original Author
    13 years ago

greedyghost: I'd like rooted, but if they are a good price, I'd try cuttings as well.

mitzicos: Thanks for the info- I'll check them out!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Shipping potted plants is expensive so cuttings are a better value. Cuttings take a couple years on average to bloom but some are faster and others quite a bit slower.
    What country are you in? There are some great sources but importing vs buying at home complicates things.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Personally, if I want a rooted plant, I go with Joni @ SRQ Hoyas every time.

They're about this size:

...so imo, the prices are very reasonable as, for a cutting of the same species you'd pay somewhere between half as much to equal price. The plants are always in robust health and she treats them, so I've never had one arrive with pests. She also sells cuttings that arrive in nice shape, although it's a bit hit and miss with what's available. So, you just have to try your luck, but she's easy to talk to.

Some sources of plants/cuttings that people here commonly use: Rare-Hoyas, Aleya, Epiphytica, Liddle, Paul Shirley, Gardino... and on ebay: dmichael619, thehoyan, Plumindr, greenthumb3000, cowboyflowerman). Some of these people do business outside of ebay, too, so if you want to avoid that scene, just look for their website or message them.

I'm a little wary of giving an across the board favorite, for cuttings. You really have to shop around and compare prices per individual species. Sometimes a certain vendor will be overpriced with some species and a very nice with others. Then, there is the whole matter of survivability. I tend to map my purchases out, being willing to pay a lot more for a delicate species that I know will only take 2 days to arrive, versus taking a chance getting it dirt cheap with 2 weeks in the mail. Then, with tougher species, go import-from-Thailand all the way!!

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Hi
    I would like to give my vote for Joni at SRQ and cowboyflowerman from ebay.I have gotten rooted hoya plants from both and I was very happy.

Cindy

• ladygreensleeves
    13 years ago

Gardino's for a well rooted established pest free plant every time!

• lovingmy4babies
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for some great info! I'm in the US, in Northeast Ga. I'm really loving these sites- SRQ is awesome! They all are, actually. lol I still haven't decided yet, though. Any ideas for what I should get? I already have carnosa KQ and KP, compacta, poluneura, bella, lacunosa, and lacunosa 'Royal Flush'. Which ones have been your favorites or easy for you? Thanks again!

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Easy Favorites:

paziae, rigida, fitchii, erythrostemma, sp. Bogor, siamica, erythrina, megalantha, chlorantha, sp. Haraku, sp. Kunming Kina, aff. arnottiana, heuschkeliana, buotii, memoria, siariae,

Easy-when-you-know-the-trick Favorites:

variegated macrophylla (keep moist), mitrata (keep dry), serpens (keep cool/moist)

New Favorites:

lucardenasiana, D. hirsuta, micrantha

Easy + Really Growing on Me:

subquintuplinervis, merrilli, dolicosparte, lamingtoniae, multiflora/javanica, aldrichii, callistophylla

Favorites I'm Afraid of Killing:

sp. square leaf, sigillatis, caudata, pimentelliana, waymaniae, pubera, mindorensis, finlaysonii, villosa, engleriana

• lovingmy4babies
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow- that's a lot of favorites! lol I love that chlorantha- good to hear it's an easy one. There are so many varieties it's unreal!

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

/kidsandcats: chlorantha was one of the first I ordered, too. It's VERY easy and swift-growing. Rennet got it to bloom after only 5 months, after starting it from a cutting.

Here is a link that might be useful: rennet re: chlorantha