Excising/aborting leaves

Posted by goddess9 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 13:18

I've only had this problem recently...and only on certain Hoyas:

fischeriana (big time)
macgillivrayi (big time)
merrillii (sp?)
pubicalyx 'Red Buttons'

Most of them are putting out new growth, some one really long vines (fischeriana and macgillivrayi in particular). I was excited about this until the newest leaves started falling off without any sort of trauma. It's frustrating! They're not over or underwatered, they're getting enough lights (the same amount of light they've alway gotten). I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Excising/aborting leaves

Goddess,

Tender new leaves can be damaged without any serious trauma. For instance, a lot of species are so tender, just touching them or a cat's tail swishing against them is enough to make them abort when they're just forming. Even a growth spurt that results in an emerging leaf brushing another vine or pushing against the window is enough to make them abort. Are ALL the leaves aborting, or just certain ones? I

One of the species I find particularly susceptible to leaf damage/drop is meliflua. It's interesting because the leaves become so firm and succulent once they're mature. But when they're fresh, new little leaf nubbins and until they're about 1/3 grown, I can practically breath on them and a few days later, the leaf is gone. I just went and looked at it and out of 5 new leaf nodes, 3 leaves are already gone and they're barely discernable as leaves at this point. I'll feel lucky if half the leaves develop.

So with those species I find are this tender, when they're actively growing, I try not to disturb them at all.

HTH...

Denise in Omaha

o
RE: Excising/aborting leaves

On this topic: do leaves regrow from the same node if they drop?

o
RE:Excising/aborting leaves

No, not in my experience.

Denise in Omaha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here