Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What hoya is it? Pleace help ID!

Posted by Yuriyaa (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 13:54

I've got this cutting and I really want to know what it is! I hope it's some amazing hoya that I don't even know!
Pleace help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What hoya is it? Pleace help ID!

Sorry, not a Hoya, maybe a Lipstick plant?

o

Hi Yuriyaa

I believe the plant you have there is actually an Aeschynanthus (a type of Gesneriad - like African Violets).

Source: Exotic Angel: Aeschynanthus Longicaulis 'Black Pagoda'

So, not a Hoya, but I do love this type of plant. :)

Posted at the same time as PG, but we are basically agreeing with each other, b/c Lipstick Plant is the common name for Aeschynanthus. :)

This post was edited by greedyghost on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 14:32

o
RE: What hoya is it? Pleace help ID! 2

p's. Aeschynanthus are probably the most-mistaken-for-Hoyas-plant

Looks a little bit like a miniature Hoya sp. Kalimantan, doesn't it? ;)

Source: dmichael619

o

It's a Gessie, but it's beautiful!

o

Wow! really beautiful Hoya!
Thank you everyone! There was quite a few Aecshinantuses around. :) So I will try Aeschynantus!
Do you if this is Hoya Carnosa?

o

Yeah, Hoya carnosa Rubra (previous name H. carnosa 'Krimson Princess'). Is it a couple of rooting cuttings? (The cover and perlite give it away.) Looks good!

GG, that Kalimantan is something special! The leaves remind me of a dinosaur skeleton at the Museum of Natural History.

o

Yeah! Mestireously I found that glass cover, looks exacly like in the beauty and the beast!
That Hoya is amazing!

o

And this is carnosa too?

o

The last one looks like Hoya memoria to me, although I hope someone else confirms.

Consider adding something to the bottom of that green cache pot in order to prop the inside pot higher - like packing peanuts or a few plastic bottle caps. More light will get to the plant and you'll enjoy seeing more of it.

o

... and it will be easier for the roots to be above the run-off water and not rot - but the water can still be there to provide humidity. And lifting the inside pot will be easier.

o

Oh! I didn't know this! Thank you!

o

Memoria was also the gut reaction I had when I looked at this photo. There are other Hoyas with similar leaves, but memoria is the most likely suspect imo.

p's. I like your bell jar. It reminds me of The Little Prince.

Mine is currently upside-down, being used as a group rooting vessel full of hydroton - my FAVORITE way of rooting cuttings. I can't tell you how much it rocks. I can bring almost any cutting around this way and run into no problems as long as I don't cover it up.

This post was edited by greedyghost on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 13:06

o

Hey! Nice! How it looks like? Could you pleace take a picture? I am quite new to this, but already have rooted about 5 hoyas! And a lot of different plants. I want to see your way of rooting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here