Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

My Sickly Australis Spp. Tenuipes

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just got done watering most of my houseplants and noticed my australis spp. tenuipes not looking too keen. What do you think's wrong? I've been watering it when I remember like my other hoyas (been busy getting ready for spring). Some of the leaves have been falling off (looking dead or yellowed).It is an EA plant and I got it at Lowe's back in December.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (15)

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Aw sad. Sorry to hear it is ailing. Such a nice big tenuipes. With so many yellow leaves I have to think it's more than a bit of plant fussiness.

So, the soil feels like it's getting a chance to dry out? Has this one escaped mealies? Have you moved your plants outdoors already this season? Where are you with fertilization?

Best wishes for a swift recovery!

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

GG, yes this one is quite a water guzzler and it dries fairly quickly (gotta love EA's soil). It's stayed safe from mealies BUT I noticed a few on it today :( . I haven't moved my plants out yet, that's not until sometime next month. I gave most of my plants a little tomato fertilizer back at the beginning of March but nothing more. I watered some of my plants today and sprayed them with the diluted coffee (only the second time so it's too early to tell if it's working). Lately, I've been giving them rain water and added a little peroxide to the watering can and bottle I keep the rain water in.

Thanks for the well wishes!!!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• monet_g
    13 years ago

Hi Brad,
    I was happy to be able to locate an EA Australis Spp. Tenuipes just like yours a few months ago. I get a few leaves dropping each week - still adjusting. I think this is one of those plants that like consistent conditions with little environmental change.
    I'd get it in it's spot, keep it lightly watered and fertilized and let it grow on. (Plus, give it a treatment of BATS for the mealies.)
    Gail

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Hey, Brad, what type of mix is this one growing in?

Josh

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is still growing in the EA soil, Josh as I stated earlier.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

13 years ago

I don't have any idea what goes into an EA mix.
    Perhaps you could indulge me, Brad.

Josh

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't know what it's made up of either but if I had to guess I would say a lot of peat or sphagnum moss and definitely perlite or vermiculite. I remember Denise saying she would water her plants, let them set awhile and water them again.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

13 years ago

In that case, might I recommend that you insert a kabob skewer or chopstick into the pot,
    and then check the bottom of the stick to determine when the medium has dried sufficiently?
    (If you already do this, disregard this advice). With such a water-retentive medium, I
    naturally assume that the lower inches are staying moist/wet, which very often leads
    to the symptoms your plant is exhibiting. Not always the case, of course.

Josh

• ladygreensleeves
    13 years ago

EA uses a water retentive material in their soil. Even tho they claim to have changed it. Chances are you are overwatering your plant. I suggest you tip it out of the pot and check the soil first to see how wet it is and second check the roots. If they are yellowing or brown they have/are dieing.You will need to take cuttings and restart the plant. If they are still white let the plant dry out and cut back on your water cycle. You may also wish to change the soil or do a partial soil change.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Josh, I'll be sure to try that!

LGS, I will check the roots to see if that's the problem! I remember when I changed the soil in my EA Chelsea, it did well for a little bit and then it declined :(. It was doing the same thing this plant is doing. I'll let you all know!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay the roots look fine but the plant looks kinda rootbound (well almost). Leaves are still falling off and some are yellow some are brownish. It might be overwatering so I'm gonna wait awhile before watering it again.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• ladygreensleeves
    13 years ago

Cut back on the watering and I still suggest you do at least a partial soil change. Pot it back into the same pot. I had a EA chelsea do the same thing. Once I did a soil change and got rid of that water retaining soil they used and potted it into my chunky mix my plant made a wonderful comeback.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How do I do a partial soil change?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• ladygreensleeves
    13 years ago

Tip the plant out of the pot and remove about half or more of the soil that it's planted in and replace it with your own chunky potting mix.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, thanks LGS!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio