Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rennfl

First flowers of the year.

rennfl
13 years ago

Yeah! My lacunosa (EA plant) has opened flowers this morning. These are the first Hoya flowers of the year for me. It's got quite a few more penduncles that are coming along as well, so should be a good year for it. I had left it out in the fall a little too long, and some vines had died back, so I was worried about it through the winter.

Next up will probably be my serpens. Here is an updated photo of the buds. Counting them this morning, I have 17 penduncles that are budding.

And DS-70 is budding, and polyneura and sp. Tanna Island both have penduncles. I know they may drop them, but I'm just excited I got this far with them. :)

Renee

Comments (12)

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Wow- Tanna Island??? I don't yet grow it, but I understand many have hard time getting it to bloom! Congrats!

Your serpens is great!

Kelly

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Hi Renee...17 peduncles is SO amazing! May I ask where you got your Serpens from and how long you've had it? Congrats on all your buds and blooms! Hope they all open up for you.

• rennfl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kelly thank you. I hope the Tanna Island does go on to bloom. I'd really like to see these flowers.

puglvr - Thanks, I got the serpens years ago from Logees. Myabe 4 or so? Back before I even knew what a Hoya was. It sat doing absolutely nothing, but grow very little for a while.

When I started keeping it outside, and cold in the winter, is when it started growing better, then last year I got my first blooms.

And forgot to mention my bella is budding up also.

Renee

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Congratulations on the buds and blooms. Your Hoya serpens looks very happy and it will be stunning when those buds open. Hummm I think I am going to have to get myself a serpens this year.

Mike

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Thanks Renee, you certainly have done a great job growing your Serpens. I emailed Logees a year or two ago and they don't sell Serpens any longer. Its a shame too, since a rooted plant is very hard to come by.

Do you leave your Serpens outside in Summer as well (you live in North Fl) right? I'm guessing the very high humidity we have isn't a problem for yours by the looks of it.

Nancy

• rennfl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nancy,

Yes it stays outside year round here, gets watered by me every sunny day in the summer plus rain on some cloudy days. In winter it gets watered by rain or me about 3 times a week. Very bright sun, basically direct sun until about noon or so in summer, direct sun almost all day in winter. Although it is slightly shaded by other plants. Our humidity pretty much stays high. Even low humidity days here are usually above 50%. But I've got a constant breeze, as I'm along the coast. And even with the watering and humidity, it does dry out, or almost dry out by night. My breeze here is pretty strong.

I was just looking through my old photos, and saw the pic I had of it last year, when it bloomed for the first time, and it seems like the plant has tripled in growth since last spring.

If it goes on to bloom (keeping fingers crossed), I'll post last year vs. this year photos.

Renee

• peanut01
    13 years ago

Any progress on the serpens blooms. We would love to see those pics :)

-David

• rennfl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

David,

It's still moving along slowly. Some of the less developed penduncles seem like they might drop a few buds. But it'll still be a good showing. I'll get a picture up of it's progress tomorrow.

I've also discovered more penduncles on the polyneura, lacunosa is blooming away, found two penduncles on my fungii, and Tanna Island is just sitting there right now. Also carnosa is budding up, and my rubra is growing a second penduncle.

Renee

• klyde
    13 years ago

Hey Mike:

Do you want my serpens? I've had it with that plant. Let me know...

Kelly in Victoria

• rennfl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a pic of the serpens from this morning showing the progress. To tell the truth, I'm afraid to move it from it's position it is in, don't want to jinx it.

• haxuan
    13 years ago

Very healthy looking plant. And look at all those peduncles! No, you don't want to move the plant. Just wait for them to bloom first.

Thanks for sharing.

Xuan

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Sure Kelly I will take it just let me know what you would like and I will see what I can do.

Rennfl those buds look like they are growing pretty fast so not much longer. I am still just amazed at the number of blooming peduncles on your plant.

Mike

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County