Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ozarkia

Hoya/dischidia repot, gritty mix

ozarkia
11 years ago

Hey y'all,

I'm a newbie to hoya & co., but I've been having great results with mixes of Turface, grower's grit, and pine bark.

I've had an EA H. carnosa since late summer of '11 that I foolishly and hastily over-potted into more crappy peat soil. Despite me, luckily, it's gone from two shriveled leaves on the clearance rack to about 10 feet of vines, but I'd love to correct my mistakes.

Rumor has it that Hoyas resent root disturbance more than a lot of other plants, eh? I've gotten fairly comfortable with un-potting and root pruning spider plants, Sansevieria, Crassula ovata, pothos, aloe, Maranta leuconeura, etc.

So is cleaning off the old soil, perhaps pruning the roots, and down-potting the carnosa into a 6" with some version of gritty mix likely to destroy the plant? If I want to switch soils, would I be better off rooting cuttings?

Same goes for a Dischidia ovata I have -- it's in a brick of compacted peat that's either bone dry or sopping wet (which would be especially difficult to remove). I've found a watering method that doesn't seem to bother it, but the situation seems unsustainable. Would I be better off trying to start over with cuttings, or could I try to pull off a gritty mix makeover?

Thanks so much for any advice.

Comments (4)

Sponsored