H. doliocosparte IML 1377

H. australis 'Kapoho'

H. macgillivrayi

I'm so excited!!! Enjoy the pics!

Carolyn

Comments (22)

• lori_40
    14 years ago

How exciting, where in Hawaii do you order these? Will they ship to Canada? And were did you get those cute dragonfly clips? Lori

• tishfromwis
    14 years ago

Dude!!! Did you buy her out? Seriously Carolyn, those are some gorgeous hoyas!!! I especially love the mitrata and the NOID! If you have time, take another picture of your citrina, it is quite dark. It looks like it has some very pretty foliage.

I'm so excited for you!!!

~Tish~

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, Lori. Just send me an email and I'll tell ya. :)

Tish! Yes, I did buy her out . . . NOT! I will take another pic of the H. citrina, but I have to wait til it's a bit later . . .the light is just all wrong . . .and a true artist, such as I, must have PERFECT lighting. hahaha! Just kidding. I will take one, later, though. Oh, and I labeled the H. australis wrong. It's H. australis 'Kapoho', not Kapaho.

The mitrata was an accident! I had sent an email asking about two different plants. Of course, I'm THRILLED! I wanted both, but couldn't justify two more when I was already WAAAAAAY over budget. But here they are!!!!

I started looking at the noid and all of a sudden thought it looked like meliflua . . .but NO. It's got fuzzy leaves. Don't know what it is!

:)
    Carolyn

• tishfromwis
    14 years ago

It's going to be hard to cook supper and take care of your children when all you want to do is ogle your new hoyas ;)

~Tish~

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That is soooooooooo true. I haven't gotten anything done, today. I sat on the sofa, this morning, waiting for the FedEx guy. Then spent the next two hours repotting and watering!!!

I've got issues!

Carolyn

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

I think you got more in your orders as of late than I have in my collection, ha ; )

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Quinn, I'll be honest . . .I've received over 20 plants and cuttings from trades and orders in the last week, alone. :) And there are more on the way!

That first order I placed from Joni was my "trial" order . . . and I think she's great, so I ordered a few more. :) They should be here on Monday. :)

As follows:

Hoya NOT ovalifolia
    Hoya sp. 3759 Haraku
    Hoya sp. aff. flavescens (no idea what this one looks like . . . just thought I'd give it a shot)

Carolyn

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Carolyn, lolol...you are sooo ADDICTED! Good for you, you are making up for lost time when you couldn't order any in winter. I love them all, but especially the Mitrata, something about reddish leaves...I just love it!

Enjoy them all, but I'm sure I don't have to remind you :o)

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Carolyn, I'm not for certain, but your noid looks like one I got from her and she said it was the tru form of hoya pubicalyx. I have a huge plant like it. . . like I said I could be way wrong just going by the pic. . .

Nice haul , you done good. . .

maid

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maid, are the leaves on your H. pubicalyx from her fuzzy?

Carolyn

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Carolyn you got a nice selection of Hoyas, are they all established rooted plants?

Your Hoya sp. aff. flavescens will have yellow/gold coloured star shaped flowers. There is a group of Hoyas that all have very similar flowers and they include Hoya flavescens, ischnopus, kenejiana. montana and a few others. The leaves are different for each species but the flowers are very similar between these species.

Your Hoya noid has lanceolate shaped leaves so it is not Hoya meliflua. I would describe Hoya pubicalax's leaves as being lanceolate to oblanceolate and with the mid rib of the leaf visible like you see in your plants but the pubescent leaf does not fit. Is the leaf pubescent on both surfaces, how about the new stems? There is a plant sold as Hoya salweenica that could be a match and it is another member of the section Hoya of the genus that includes Hoya carnosa and pubicalyx. That's my best guess anyways but there are lots of Hoyas out there, will be neat to see what it turns out to be when it blooms.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaf shapes

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, Mike, the whole thing is fuzzy. Both sides of the leaves, the stems. And the leaves seem to grow in clusters. I can certainly wait til it blooms. Just wanted to show you guys. And, yes, they are all well established, rooted plants. :)

Carolyn

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Hi Carolyn,

Nope my leaves aren't fuzzy, they're smooth. Yours is a pretty plant, no matter what it it. Did she actually send a plant that had noid?

Maid~

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep, she did. We talked about it, first. Thought it would be fun. :) It's a cool fuzzy plant. :) I really like it. It's just about my favorite of all the plants I received, yesterday.

Carolyn

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Carolyn, I'm not for certain, but your noid looks like one I got from her and she said it was the tru form of hoya pubicalyx. I have a huge plant like it. . . like I said I could be way wrong just going by the pic. . .

Nice haul , you done good. . .

maid

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Carol must have bloomed that plant but I am still a little confused. When you say the 'true' Hoya pubicalyx I am not sure what exactly is meant? When a species is described a type specimen is taken or at least a botanical drawing is made as well as a holotype specimen and they are housed in a herbarium. The type specimen is the specimen that is referred back to although there can be variation seeing as there is never any way of knowing just what variations exist in nature when a new species is described. Still having said that Hoya pubicalyx is a valid published name and saying the 'true' pubicalyx makes it sound like there was an error made when the species was published. There could of course be a new subspecies or variation of Hoya pubicalyx that is pubescent but it is still a Hoya pubicalyx unless it is separated, named and given species status of it's own. Nomenclature is a confusing world and I don't claim to know all that much about it but sometimes it seems like we make it more difficult on ourselves.

Now I really want to see that cutting bloom, Maid has yours developed peduncles yet?

Mike

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I, myself, can't wait to see this NOID bloom! It's such a lovely plant!!!

Carolyn

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

No, Mike, it has 2 peduncles on it but they were there when iI got it, they haven't done anything so far.

But I don't think it's the same as Carolyn's, she describes hers as being fuzzy, mine is not, it's smooth.

So, do you think there is no such thing as a *true pubicalyx*? You're right, it is confusing. I just call mine hoya Pubicalyx, I also have the others 'Red Buttons', 'Pink Silver', 'Royal Hawaiian Purple', 'Splash' and 'Bright One'. I call them by that name.

Thanks, Maid~

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

You know what I bet that the phrase "true pubicalyx" was meant to mean the type species or first described (true) variety of Hoya pubicalyx instead of what I initially had assumed by concentrating on the true/false word play. The plain green leaved dark purple flowered Hoya pubicalyx is certainly available but I still think that a pubescent leaved form is something I have not heard of.
    A good mystery is always fun. :)

Mike

• patrick51
    14 years ago

Carolyn...your plants are just gorgeous...I especially love your H. mitrata...beautiful. Yes, you've got it bad...and once it gets started, there's no stopping it!! LOL I went from 30 to 108 in 9 months...I even ordered during the winter...thank God for heat packs!! Please enjoy your great-looking hoyas!! Fondly, Patrick

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Carolyn, good varierty of hoyas. Love the mitrata.

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

G'morning,

Here's a picture of the one I got from CN last summer. The first is a pic of the plant, you can see it's potted up with 'splash', the second is a close up of the leaves. . .

The ones front and center have no markings on them at all. They're almost completely flat, compared to the 'splash' behind and beside it. . .

maid~

Sponsored