Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maidinmontana

repot or not

maidinmontana
15 years ago

Hi,

So I bought a hoya (Sulawesi) as well as a dischidia (million hearts) at my local Home Depot store. As I am well aware of the improper care of plant handling at these box stores, I got the two plants home and come to find out they are both waaaay over watered. They weigh about 5 lbs each and are in fairly small pots. Not that I think the pots are too small for the plant, I think the plants are suffering from a severe case of over watering. I did take the D. out of the pot and there is a fair amount of roots, they have grown to the sides of the pot. They are very thin in size and not a whole lot of them, so I don't think it is root bound. But in my opinion, they need to be put in a pot (even if it the same one) with a different soil medium. Until I find out some advice here I am not going to do anything, but in the meantime, I took the plant out of the pot and sat it in a basket (unlined) so it could dry out some. Is this OK for now? I had to do something, everday I am clipping away yellowing leaves I think are due to the over-watering issue. I will look at in a day and keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't become parched. As I realize there is a certain amount of shock these plants go thru when they get shipped and then getting them in your home, however, these yellowing leaves were there when I saw the plant in the store.

As for the Hoya, it is very wet as well, the roots aren't as big and I can't see them when I removed the pot. I am assuming they are probably clippings they stuck in a very short time ago, before they shipped it out. One more thing about this hoya, it has 21 long, leafless stems shooting out of the soil, which I am assuming will eventually get leaves on, so in that case should I just let them be for now? They sure take away from the plant, in my opinion.

Anyway, I have a mixture of soil and perlite ready to plant them in when the time is right. My question is, how do I go about repotting them? Should I gently rinse them in water to remove most of the soil? I don't want to use a bigger pot, but there is no room in the previous pot for more soil. Any advice/tips would be helpful. TIA

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996
More Discussions